Re: [fw-wiz] Firewall Solution - 50 Users on SDSL Connection

From: Marcus J. Ranum (mjr_at_ranum.com)
Date: 10/05/03

    To: Paul Robertson <proberts@patriot.net>, Dan Harp <danharp@brenius.com>
    Date: Sun, 05 Oct 2003 10:38:54 -0400

    Paul Robertson wrote:
    >*Be careful* filtering ICMP, if you're allowing the DF bit to be set,
    >you're going to kill PMTU discovery if you're not careful.

    So? Kill it. It was a bad idea in the first place; the standards guys
    (once again) didn't think about security boundary devices when
    they did their design. If it continues to not work properly, maybe
    they'll fix their stupid protocol and be more careful next time. :)

    mjr.

    • Re: dental costs in the netherlands compared to the us
      ... >I would be careful. ... >Some of the treatment there is not to USA standards, ... Some of the treatment in the USA is not of a high standard, ...
      (sci.med.dentistry)
    • Re: Sean Daly (A Cardinal in the Roman Catholic Church)
      ... I think we also have to be careful when judging historic deeds against modern day standards or thinking. ... That was the culture of that time, that was their 'standards or thinking', the standards that they themselves set for everyone else. ...
      (soc.culture.irish)
    • Re: Limited by Nonsense
      ... > you are also TeamB member. ... As such you should be careful not to ... > exercise double standards ...
      (borland.public.delphi.non-technical)
    • Re: More National Society crap.
      ... Is it not you who enforces ... standards of training and exam management? ... Careful! ...
      (uk.radio.amateur)