Re: [fw-wiz] unauthenticated topology download on AI error message

From: Christopher Hicks (chicks_at_chicks.net)
Date: 10/03/03

    To: Steve Rielly <steve.rielly@extranet.co.nz>
    Date: Fri, 3 Oct 2003 08:56:06 -0400 (EDT)

    On Fri, 3 Oct 2003, Steve Rielly wrote:
    > Any suggestions as to what else I should be looking at??

    Buying a firewall that's not so buggy? Is it just me or does Steve's
    entire explanation make everybody cringe at the thought of it happening to
    you? I'm not trying to start a flame war (and I have utter confidence in
    our moderator :), but, and there's always a but .... but, it's this sort
    of thing that makes me so happy about running Linux firewalls. I know
    it's never going to do anything that abysmally stupid. And it's not just
    Linux versus Steve's vendor. It's Linux/BSD/etc. versus commercial
    firewall vendors in general. How do they expect to compete with so many
    bugs? Not that Linux doesn't have bugs, but not ones that get in the way
    of running your firewall. Umph.

    --
    </chris>
    No, no, you're not thinking, you're just being logical.

    • Re: Linux or BSD alternative to Windows Home Server
      ... My questions were about Gentoo vs. Linux for a sever, ... I will probably eventually have a dedicated firewall ... if you were to have a file server which is accessible ... I'm aware that I could probably create scripts to regularly backup ...
      (comp.os.linux.misc)
    • Re: Seriously, now that I got Linux LiveCD running, what can I do with it? Newbie questions
      ... as opposed to in Windows. ... this is not a software firewall as in Windows. ... firewalling code in GNU/Linux is actually part of the Linux kernel ... Kubuntu, Xubuntu et al, the first user account created at installation ...
      (comp.os.linux.setup)
    • Re: OT - Desktop Linux
      ... I've got both windows and linux boxes. ... But are there any desktop operating systems out there which enjoy a dis- ... software firewall, have a good and up to date ...
      (alt.sports.basketball.nba.la-lakers)
    • Re: [opensuse] installing openSUSE on an older pc
      ... it seems Linux in general is going the way of M$, when you come to linux forums ... I picked them up as junk-ware from the Salvation Army thrift store for less than a meal for the family at McD's would cost. ... WYSISYG, and a large, capable desktop manager is going to need more memory. ... My firewall, mail-hub, file-server: all headless. ...
      (SuSE)
    • Re: Seriously, now that I got Linux LiveCD running, what can I do with it? Newbie questions
      ... For example, there are some differences in the way distributions handle updates, configuration, root access, etc. - bbgruff is probably used to other distributions and was a little inaccurate about the way sudo is used in Ubuntu and Mint. ... It's probably easier for you to understand if I translate things roughly into windows terms. ... They are not entirely equivalent - MS didn't get things quite right when they copied user access from Linux for use in NT, or when they copied sudo as "user account control" in Vista. ... I don't normally configure a firewall on desktop or laptop Linux machines, and only do so on servers if they are internet-accessible. ...
      (comp.os.linux.setup)