Re: [fw-wiz] Thanx One more problem

From: Gwendolynn ferch Elydyr (gwen_at_reptiles.org)
Date: 09/26/03

    To: firewall-wizards@honor.icsalabs.com
    Date: Fri, 26 Sep 2003 09:15:46 -0400 (EDT)

    On 26 Sep 2003, Mayur Gala wrote:
    > unable to ping & traceroute from the OUTSIDE switch to Internet
    > router. BUT EXTENDED PING WORKS????

    To quote from cisco's web page:

    http://www.cisco.com/warp/public/105/ext_ping_trace.html

    The Extended ping Command

            When a normal ping command is sent from a
            router, the source address of the ping is the IP
            address of the interface that the packet uses to exit the router.
            If an extended ping command is used, the source IP address
            can be changed to any IP address on the router. The extended
            ping is used to perform a more advanced check of
            host reachability and network connectivity.

    The poster will note that the source address for a ping is not
    necessarily the same as the source address for an extended ping, and
    should be able to extrapolate a solution from this data.

    [specifics about the posters setup deleted, as the proof is trivial,
    and is left to the reader]

    cheers!

    • RE: [fw-wiz] Worms, Air Gaps and Responsibility
      ... > are involved in Kerberos communications? ... "A cat spends her life conflicted between a deep, passionate and profound ... desire for fish and an equally deep, passionate and profound desire to ...
      (Firewall-Wizards)
    • Re: [fw-wiz] suggestions for anitvirus in gateway
      ... AV vendor should be active. ... >"A cat spends her life conflicted between a deep, passionate and profound ... >desire for fish and an equally deep, passionate and profound desire to ...
      (Firewall-Wizards)
    • Re: Product review postings - Suggested Solution
      ... > When product reviews are sent to the list regardless of the source I can ... "A cat spends her life conflicted between a deep, passionate and profound ... desire for fish and an equally deep, passionate and profound desire to ...
      (Pen-Test)
    • RE: [fw-wiz] FW appliance comparison - Seeking input for the forum
      ... single solution. ... "A cat spends her life conflicted between a deep, passionate and profound ... desire for fish and an equally deep, passionate and profound desire to ...
      (Firewall-Wizards)
    • Re: [fw-wiz] Cannot send mail
      ... > Please verity that your email address is correct in your Mail preferences ... "A cat spends her life conflicted between a deep, passionate and profound ... desire for fish and an equally deep, passionate and profound desire to ...
      (Firewall-Wizards)