Re: [fw-wiz] how to check if someone is blocking me or watching me?

From: Mike Hoskins (mike_at_adept.org)
Date: 09/20/03

    To: firewall-wizards@honor.icsalabs.com
    Date: Fri, 19 Sep 2003 15:44:45 -0700 (PDT)

    From: Paul Robertson <proberts@patriot.net>
    Subject: Re: [fw-wiz] how to check if someone is blocking me or watching
    me?
    On Thu, 18 Sep 2003 ngunness@canada.com wrote:
    > > Is it ture that i can find out if someone is blocking
    > > me and tracking me? Norman
    > If you're doing something "wrong" from a network, the obvious answer is
    > not to do it. If it's privacy, not legality or appropriateness, then do
    > it from a machine you own and a connection you pay for.

    to that, i'd just add... "encrypt everything, and then assume it's still
    being read". even if it's a machine you own, on a connection you "pay
    for" -- lots of people can still be watching. i assume anything i type
    will be read by others. it's not a question of if, only when. that's a
    bit paranoid, but if the mythical "determined atacker" is who you're
    trying to thwart, you may not be able to keep your data safe... only to
    ensure that it has at least aged enough to be useless before it's
    recovered.

    of course, computers get faster and faster all the time while advances in
    public cryptography come in bursts... but that's the world of security.
    nothing is ever trusted 100%. the best you can do is use all available
    tools, follow best practices, and try to sleep at night.

    -mrh

    From: "Spam Catcher" <spam-catcher@adept.org>
    To: spam-catcher@adept.org
    Do NOT send email to the address listed above or
    you will be added to a blacklist!

    • Re: Germany joins calls to end Googles "free lunch"
      ... Everyone who gets connected to the Internet pays for that connection. ... I have no doubt that google pays big $$$ for the bandwidth they get and use, hence they pay a bigger share than the consumer who pays for a simple lower bandwidth connection. ... To bridge the remaining meters from the fiber optic network to ...
      (alt.gathering.rainbow)
    • Re: DRDB LIARS to be replaced by DRDG LIARS
      ... I'll concede that you pay more to LLU ISPs if you're connected to an non-unbundled exchange. ... And I don't accept that many people would have to "spend lots of money" listening to Internet radio, because people subscribe to the Internet anyway, and the packages available these days: http://www.top10-broadband.co.uk/compare/home_broadband/ shows that broadband with sufficiently high download caps is inexpensive, and I would say that the percentage of people who would have to upgrade their package just because of their Internet radio listening will be low. ... If you dig a bit deeper though you'll find a lot of the prices listed are introductory offers, after which some prices double, also a lot of the prices require you to be connected to an unbundled exchange or live in a cable area. ... I obviously have to pay a premium for my connection, although it's not a ridiculously high price as I'm connected to cable and wireless's LLU service via a re-seller. ...
      (alt.radio.digital)
    • Re: error C00D11B3
      ... NIS was blocking the connection. ... LiveUpdates somehow changes these settings? ...
      (microsoft.public.windowsmedia.player)
    • Re: Bicycle riders will get more respect once they start obeying the laws that govern them.
      ... They are blocking in connection with the protest now, ... drain giants later. ...
      (rec.music.christian)
    • Re: East Coast wifi
      ... trains, and it dropped the connection a couple of times per trip. ... pays these charges for First Class ticket holders, ... I think there's another issue here; if passengers have to pay then ...
      (uk.railway)