[fw-wiz] firewall in the management subnet

From: Roger Barbeau (r_barbeau_at_videotron.ca)
Date: 09/19/03

    To: firewall-wizards@honor.icsalabs.com
    Date: Fri, 19 Sep 2003 14:44:23 -0400

    Hi!

    I would like to know your opinion about a firewall configuration issue:

    We plan to configure our firewall management module (checkpoint firewall NG)
    on a server that shares its network connection (subnet) with other servers
    used for management purposes (SNMP, BACKUPS, .) in order to save one
    firewall network interface.

    Example:

    Internet ---- FW ------ subnet 1 Server that hosts the FW Management Module
                         L----- subnet 1 Management server 1 (SNMP)
                       L----- subnet 1 Management server 2 (BACKUPS)

    I understand that having a separate network interface for the firewall
    management module is a better practice.

    Nevertheless, this configuration is cost effective and has an impact on the
    number of available network interfaces for other needs.

    What are your recommendations?

    Best regards,

    Roger