Re: [fw-wiz] Stop using RBLs now

From: R. DuFresne (
Date: 09/17/03

    To: Mikael Olsson <>
    Date: Tue, 16 Sep 2003 18:32:39 -0400 (EDT)

    I was wondering how long before someone mentioned some of the snippityness
    of verisign lately. They seem to be upset over the use of the and whois querying tools:

    -- From:

    NOTICE AND TERMS OF USE: You are not authorized to access or query our
    database through the use of high-volume, automated, electronic processes.
    Data in Network Solutions' WHOIS database is provided by Network Solutions
    for information
    purposes only, and to assist persons in obtaining information about or
    to a domain name registration record. Network Solutions does not guarantee
    its accuracy.

    it was broken for a short time, then apprently fixed, not sure if this fix
    was on the verisign end of the thur/geektools side.

    Ron DuFresne

    On Tue, 16 Sep 2003, Mikael Olsson wrote:

    > Not a firewall issue per se, but we all use mail, don't we?
    > If you use RBLs: STOP NOW.
    > The dorkslayers RBLs have been down for quite some time, which
    > is nondestructive in and of itself. But with VeriSign's latest
    > stunt - returning for all unknown domains - RBL
    > lookups will return hits for anything under
    > And, yes, I do recognize the irony in trying to get the
    > warning out this way.

            admin & senior security consultant:
    "Cutting the space budget really restores my faith in humanity.  It
    business of hate, debauchery, and self-annihilation."
                    -- Johnny Hart
    testing, only testing, and damn good at it too!
    firewall-wizards mailing list