RE: [fw-wiz] tests about latency

From: Neale Banks (neale_at_lowendale.com.au)
Date: 09/12/03

    To: TSimons@Delphi-Tech.com
    Date: Fri, 12 Sep 2003 14:37:09 +1000 (EST)

    On Thu, 4 Sep 2003 TSimons@Delphi-Tech.com wrote:

    > You may want to checkout SmokePing which works off of RRDTool. It sends 10
    > pings ever 2 minutes, averages and graphs their response time and loss if
    > any.

    Sounds like a nice tool, thanks for the pointer. But....

    > You would setup a host internally with smoke pings against the inside
    > interface of the PIX, and the router just outside the PIX, then compare the
    > graphs.

    As the latency across the firewall hopefully isn't great, would not the
    potential difference between the ping-response time of the firewall and
    router be significant?

    Surely such a test would be better constructed with two identical,
    unloaded hosts - one just inside the FW and one just outside?

    Ob FW: Whilst obviously anything that's not simply routed (e.g. proxied
    protocols) would be a completely different kettle of fish, to what extent
    could one then reasonably generalise the results obtained from ping tests
    (i.e. ICMP packets) to other protocols?

    Regards,
    Neale.

    • RE: [fw-wiz] tests about latency
      ... averages and graphs their response time and loss if ... You would setup a host internally with smoke pings against the inside ... interface of the PIX, and the router just outside the PIX, then compare the ... I'm looking for some latency tests, ...
      (Firewall-Wizards)
    • Re: RPC Latency very high (5+ seconds a lot of the time)
      ... that's nothing compared to 12000:P Internally our network has a response time of 10-20 ms just for pings, not including data transfer times.... ... "Andy David " wrote in message ...
      (microsoft.public.exchange.admin)