[fw-wiz] re: Squid Proxy

From: Mike Hoskins (mike_at_adept.org)
Date: 09/11/03

    To: firewall-wizards@honor.icsalabs.com
    Date: Wed, 10 Sep 2003 15:54:31 -0700 (PDT)

    From: "Bunnet Som" <bunnetsom@hotmail.com>
    Date: Mon, 08 Sep 2003 19:36:25 +0700
    Subject: [fw-wiz] Squid Proxy
    > Now i wan to know the amount of byte-in and byte-out of each users that
    > use the internet.
    > So can i do this with squid?

    the simple answer is yes. :) as usual, there is more than one way to
    skin a $leastFavoriteAnimal.

    others have pointed out Squid tools, including log analyzers. another
    option is using SNMP. Squid has supported SNMP for awhile, and if you
    already use SNMP to manage other pieces of your network (router, firewall,
    etc.) it might make sense.

    for the clients behind your NAT device, do you only allow outbound
    communication via the Squid proxy? that would be nice, but is often
    impractical (so i must ask). if all traffic is not directed through the
    proxy, you may be better off analyzing firewall logs... or at least
    analyzing more than just your proxy logs.

    -mrh

    From: "Spam Catcher" <spam-catcher@adept.org>
    To: spam-catcher@adept.org
    Do NOT send email to the address listed above or
    you will be added to a blacklist!

    • Re: Need firewall/filtering advice.
      ... > iptables firewall). ... My questions revolve more around restricting access ... Have a look at Squid + SquidGuard. ... not have the choice to go thru the proxy. ...
      (comp.os.linux.security)
    • RE: Transparent Proxy going astray
      ... Yes the gateway server, runs IPFW2, squid, ppp etc. ... it looks like squid logs do register a miss: ... I assume your firewall is also running the squid proxy? ... If this is your firewall, then you'd probably want to change rule 50 to ...
      (freebsd-questions)
    • Re: Need Freeware Firewall applicance.
      ... I would like to change it into a firewall & ... In the past I've installed linux / iptables / squid / fwbuilder etc. ... let me remotely push a firewall policy onto this machine and manage its ... proxy settings from a remote location. ...
      (comp.security.firewalls)
    • RE: Squid question
      ... I believe you want transparent proxy services. ... Point the new machines to the squid box as their gateway, ... > discovery, such as the physician-patient privilege, or a peer review ...
      (RedHat)
    • Re: parental control with squid and dansguardian
      ... I need to configure the browser to look for proxy on port ... if someone just changes the port in their browser to 3128 (squid ... as the box is behind a router firewall anyway but I would appreciate your ...
      (freebsd-questions)