Re: [fw-wiz] Re: Setting up H323 IP telephony etc - was Re: [fw-wiz] Apple's iSight and Firewalls

From: Paul Robertson (proberts_at_patriot.net)
Date: 08/26/03

    To: "Marcus J. Ranum" <mjr@ranum.com>
    Date: Tue, 26 Aug 2003 17:46:38 -0400 (EDT)

    On Tue, 26 Aug 2003, Marcus J. Ranum wrote:

    > Y'know, I think I must just be "retro" but I think there's no how, no way
    > that netmeeting has any business entering or exiting a mission-critical
    > network. I.e..: if it's worth firewalling, it's best to not allow this kind of

    I've always found it odd that people who'd have to get off their butts and
    go to a conference room to have an in-person meeting have so many issues
    with getting off their butts and going to a PC that's allowed to do
    "unsafe" stuff...

    > Sorry - I'm feeling extremely curmudgeonly today. In my inbox I had
    > *5* reports of mission-critical networks that were taken down by
    > various worms in the last week. Why's that? On the surface, the
    > answer is "RPC bug" but the REAL answer is "people should not
    > be connecting mission-critical networks to the Internet - even with
    > firewalls." A small handful of us have been singing this song quietly
    > in the corner for about 12 years, now. Is anyone going to ever "get it"??

    Nope, that's why it's a drinking song. I need a Guinness.

    Paul

    • Re: [fw-wiz] Botnets, IRC servers and firewalls?
      ... Firewalling is an arms race. ... https is like the downloader trojan sites, they're easier to get shut down ... If we're not using the firewalls we have effectively to stop the threats ... Paul D. Robertson "My statements in this message are personal opinions ...
      (Firewall-Wizards)
    • RE: [fw-wiz] Vulnerability Response (was: BGP TCP RST Attacks)
      ... I booted WinXP Pro on my laptoplast week to put some ... all my Linux systems don't need network-based RPC ... could do kernel level firewalling. ... Paul D. Robertson "My statements in this message are personal opinions ...
      (Firewall-Wizards)