Re: [fw-wiz] Apple's iSight and Firewalls

From: Bartek Krajnik (bartek_at_bicom.pl)
Date: 08/23/03

    To: firewall-wizards@honor.icsalabs.com
    Date: Sat, 23 Aug 2003 11:30:05 +0200

    On 19-08-2003 at 08:43:23PM -0400, Jim Seymour wrote:
    JS> Hi All,
    JS>
    JS> My company would like to set up inexpensive video-conferencing.
    JS> They've been bugging me for a solution for some time. The partner
    JS> company, being All Windows, All The Time, of course immediately
    JS> suggested NetMeeting. ISTR a discussion about NetMeeting here, perhaps
    JS> prompted by me, and, IIRC, it pretty much requires one make swiss
    JS> cheese of their firewall for it to work. I vetoed it, and management
    JS> backed me up. Doing a search on "NetMeeting" on SecurityFocus was not
    JS> encouraging, either.
    JS>
    JS> Recently they bought me an iBook to do some WebObjects development
    JS> with. It just hit me today that maybe Apple's iSight product would do
    JS> the trick for video conferencing.
    JS>
    JS> Problem is: I've no idea what iSight would need through the firewall.
    JS>
    JS> There's this:
    JS>
    JS> http://www.macosxhints.com/article.php?story=20030623203213301
    JS>
    JS> If 5060 and 16384 through 16403 UDP are all that are required, and I
    JS> can specify the only allowed IP address inside they would forward to,
    JS> well, that might be acceptable.
    JS>
    JS> Comments? Opinions? Suggestions? Flames? ;)

    Here is everything what You need:
    http://www.microsoft.com/windows/NetMeeting/Corp/reskit/Chapter4/default.asp

    Rgds,
      Bartek.
    GPG-key-ID: 0x948DE45D -- visit http://www.bartek.bicom.pl/public_key.txt
    Fingerprint: 95E9 8E2D 1801 7864 2244 6EAA 03E5 764D 948D E45D

    • [fw-wiz] Apples iSight and Firewalls
      ... company, being All Windows, All The Time, of course immediately ... ISTR a discussion about NetMeeting here, ... It just hit me today that maybe Apple's iSight product would do ... I've no idea what iSight would need through the firewall. ...
      (Firewall-Wizards)
    • Re: Ping pmj
      ... a software firewall to fill the gaps in or you will get intruders!!! ... Software Firewall, or not Forwarded in your Router), then NetMeeting ... *also* Open up some Ports when receiving Calls. ... Such as VNC ...
      (uk.people.silversurfers)
    • Re: Netmeeting works but nothing else does
      ... "Full" NetMeeting calls are really two calls in parallel - and H.323 ... > connections on specific ports and secondary UDP connections on ... > computers outside the firewall and you are able to use the audio ...
      (microsoft.public.internet.netmeeting)
    • Re: Tutorial?
      ... I am building a visual basic application that uses Netmeeting SDK. ... if you just use the remote desktop thing. ... It depends on what "opening" ports means though and what kind of firewall ... incoming or outgoing calls. ...
      (microsoft.public.internet.netmeeting)
    • Re: Problems with Netmeeting
      ... My friend uses Windows ME. ... assuming the party is running NetMeeting waiting for the call, ... router or firewall or protected by a local software firewall that blocks ...
      (microsoft.public.internet.netmeeting)