[fw-wiz] MSBlast circumventing host firewall

From: Josh Welch (jwelch_at_buffalowildwings.com)
Date: 08/15/03

    To: <firewall-wizards@honor.icsalabs.com>
    Date: Fri, 15 Aug 2003 16:40:14 -0500

    We've sites which are running Winproxy on one of their workstations acting
    as the firewall. This product was chosen not for its firewall capabilities,
    but for its proxy capabilities, and this was some time ago. It was then
    decided that this was our firewall at these locations because there was a
    tab labeled firewall. It appears that the firewall was configured to prevent
    connections to TCP 135 (most connections actually), but msblast blew right
    past it and infected the machine running winproxy. I'm investigating this
    right now to see if there was a misconfiguration issue or what. I've also
    heard a rumor about someone using Norton's firewall being infected. These
    could all be results of misconfiguration issues, but I'm curious if anyone
    else has seen issues with these types of products.

    Thanks,
    Josh