Re: [fw-wiz] HTML Emails and Firewall Security

From: Victoria of Borg (vicofborg_at_myrealbox.com)
Date: 08/05/03

    To: firewall-wizards@honor.icsalabs.com
    Date: Tue, 05 Aug 2003 12:43:11 -0500

    On Wed, 30 Jul 2003, Ron Suarez wrote:

    > I'm curious how many of you also see this as a threat to your network and
    > also filter out html emails?

    Heck yeah! And I'm not even running Outlook/Exchange. I have a Novell
    GroupWise 5.5 (soon to be 6.5) environment at the moment, and HTML e-mails
    are currently rendered in the Local Machine zone. Evil, evil stuff. If I
    could get away with banning all HTML e-mail I'd do it. But I can't.
    Novell is lucky that a worm hasn't been developed to exploit this little
    bug.

    GroupWise versions 5.5 and 6.0 both view the HTML-part of a message if it
    has a choice between a plain-text and html component. GW6.5 apparently
    has a way to set it to view the plain-text part, which is what I'll be
    doing once we get it. I haven't played with the new stuff long enough to
    know what zone the HTML content is rendered in.

    > I am also seeing more and more B2B marketing departments send html email
    > (eNewsletters) as part of their strategy. I'm thinking that their emails
    > aren't being received properly by their clients or received at all.

    Like me. I have a rule that shunts all internet-originated e-mail with
    html-tags in it to a special folder. If I decide to read it, I'll View
    the attachment-list and read the mail-source if I have to. And if I can't
    see any content around all the HTML gark, I just don't read it. Some
    newsletters do include a plain-text component which I'll read, but that is
    becoming more and more rare.

    The "Jen" of Generation "Z". Your children will be assimilated.