Re: [fw-wiz] Off topic: Any one know of a good IPV6 reference book?

From: Joshua Hill (josh-lists_at_untruth.org)
Date: 08/01/03

    To: "Marcus J. Ranum" <mjr@ranum.com>
    Date: Thu, 31 Jul 2003 21:36:18 -0700

    David Wagner wrote:
    >What can we do about all those friggin cleartext passwords?

    Marcus J. Ranum responded:
    > Good point!!!
    >
    > A lot of us were saying cleartext passwords were dead in
    > the early 90s, but SSL and SSH have breathed new life
    > into them; I bet we'll have them forever, now. :( Which
    > means that keyboard sniffers will continue to rule.

    And what would those sniff-resistant non-crypto based alternatives to
    passwords be then? Biometrics, perhaps? :->

    Crypto has its part to play in system security; The central design
    decision for crypto (just like any other security tool) is the engineering
    decision of where to intelligently involve it.

                            Josh