Re: [fw-wiz] OT: Av and Gartner...

From: Dave Piscitello (
Date: 07/31/03

    Date: Thu, 31 Jul 2003 08:43:24 -0400

    At 11:37 PM 7/30/2003 -0400, Marcus J Ranum wrote:
    >John Keeton wrote:
    > >Also, anyone have any experiance with Garner regarding security items?
    >You virtually never see anyone on thier stupid
    >magic quadrant who is not a Gartner research customer or a
    >consulting customer.

    Perhaps coincidence, but the directory hierarchy at seems to
    corroborate Marcus' claim:

    Save the visit to the hyperlink: Neoteris is in the magic quadrant.

    Still, I'm curious...

    Has anyone on the list ever revisited one of Gartner's magic quadrants
    several years later to see whether their predictions of who is able to
    execute and who has the most complete vision were accurate?

    >Does Gartner test technology? No. What do they actually
    >base their "recommendations" on?

    Marcus, all you have to do is *read* their disclaimer:

    "...The information contained herein has been obtained from sources
    believed to be reliable. Gartner disclaims all warranties as to the
    accuracy, completeness or adequacy of such information. Gartner shall have
    no liability for errors, omissions or inadequacies in the information
    contained herein or for interpretations thereof. The reader assumes sole
    responsibility for the selection of these materials to achieve its intended
    results. The opinions expressed herein are subject to change without notice."

    As security professionals, we all know the value of "sources believed to be
    reliable". Isn't this the fundamental precept for all authentication
    methods? :-)

    BTW, the domain name is available...

    David M. Piscitello
    Core Competence, Inc.