Re: [fw-wiz] Off topic: Any one know of a good IPV6 reference book?

From: Christopher Hicks (chicks_at_chicks.net)
Date: 07/31/03

    To: firewall-wizards@honor.icsalabs.com
    Date: Thu, 31 Jul 2003 07:53:51 -0400 (EDT)

    On Tue, 29 Jul 2003, Joseph S D Yao wrote:
    > And the US DOD seems to be spear-heading this particular revolution, eh?
    > [No, you do NOT have to remind me of OSI networking and ADA. ;-)]

    Oh no. I wasn't going to remind you of OSI networking, but certainly
    remember ADA and one of the DOD big successes at popularizing technology -
    COBOL. The DOD didn't manage to turn the world into a bunch of ADA
    programmers. (C'est la vie.) But Grace Hopper (who in my experience is
    well respected in the hacker community) was one of the "leading lights" on
    the committee to create an interim langauge for doing DOD software
    development that ended up producing COBOL. When the DOD succeeds they
    succeed big and it can surprise technology advocates and international
    petty tyrants, but that's getting even too OT for this list....

    Of course since COBOL was the "short term" solution it may roughly
    analgoize to IP4 and ADA would then be IP6 making mjr and the happy band
    of IP6 curmugeons happy with their predictions. But personally I suspect
    despite my amusing analogies that we'll eventually all be running IPV6.
    It's just a matter of time. OF course I've said the same thing for the
    last 15 years about switching from vi to emacs, and now I have vim. I
    still don't use emacs. It's a good thing this is a moderated list or I'd
    have to feel guilty about making emacs out to be as dead as IPV6.... oops,
    did I just say that? :) Feel free to flame me directly if you're not
    amused.

    --
    </chris>
    The death of democracy is not likely to be an assassination from ambush. It

    • Re: Current status of Ada?
      ... Despite the superficially "fair" wording of the memo, ... universally interpreted as DoD walking away from Ada. ... having been proven successful in a lot of DoD ... who made the mistake of excluding inheritance from the language in the first ...
      (comp.lang.ada)
    • Re: The future of Ada is at risk
      ... The game development guys realize the need for a new language. ... there's a lot of work to be done before Ada is really practical for game ... The DoD, ... Some other contractors who made the same ...
      (comp.lang.ada)
    • Re: 7E7 Flight Controls Electronics
      ... Given that people had choices and Ada ... the 800 or so programming languages in use by the DoD, ... DoD1 was expected to provide a 'language of last resort', ... need modifications to a compiler to support particular requirements, ...
      (comp.lang.ada)
    • Re: hilarious (you cant make up stuff like that)
      ... >> Not true, Ada was designed by a Frenchman, Jean Ichbiah. ... When a government "requests for proposals", ... > In 1973, DOD created the Higher Order Language Working Group, which ... > Ichbiah responded by starting to invent a language called LIS. ...
      (comp.lang.lisp)
    • Re: Universities are failing us with COBOL?
      ... "DOD is a major VMS user but I can't tell you about it or I would have ... couldbe moved off of COBOL tomorrow with minimal impact. ... I thnk it is not easy to move mainframes in and out of war zones... ... the Iraqi "war zone" extended all the way to Doha, ...
      (comp.lang.cobol)