Re: [fw-wiz] OT: Av and Gartner...

From: Luca Berra (bluca_at_comedia.it)
Date: 07/31/03

    To: firewall-wizards@honor.icsalabs.com
    Date: Thu, 31 Jul 2003 10:22:00 +0200

    On Wed, Jul 30, 2003 at 06:38:45PM -0600, Jim McAtee wrote:
    >Never understood running AV on servers. How would they get infected? Very
    >little, if any, browser use is permitted on our servers and no email clients
    >are ever run on them. Now, if we're talking about servers in a DMZ, such as
    >web servers, compromises are always a possibility, but very few of those would
    >be caught by an AV.
    Have you actually ever worked in a windows environment?
    you have shares,
    you have users with administrative privileges on the servers
    you have badly written apps that work only if john doe from accounting
    is local admin on the accounting server, and john doe uses a laptop,
    and also when john doe is home his kid uses that laptop to surf the
    internet......

    I have seen enough server farm virus infection to warrant an antivirus
    on servers as well.

    regards,
    L.

    --