Re: [fw-wiz] OT: Av and Gartner...

From: Paul Robertson (proberts_at_patriot.net)
Date: 07/31/03

    To: Jim McAtee <jmcatee@mediaodyssey.com>
    Date: Wed, 30 Jul 2003 21:08:28 -0400 (EDT)

    On Wed, 30 Jul 2003, Jim McAtee wrote:

    > Never understood running AV on servers. How would they get infected? Very
    > little, if any, browser use is permitted on our servers and no email clients
    > are ever run on them. Now, if we're talking about servers in a DMZ, such as

    Obviously, it depends on the type of server, however (a) Administrators
    will occasionally pop up a browser when researching a problem. (b) SQL
    Slammer, NIMDA and Code Red should give enough history of server issues to
    make installing AV worth-while on MS platforms. (c) If end-users connect
    to them, then having professionally managed AV can stop things like laptop
    infections from un-updated machines coming inside.

    Paul

    • Re: XP Pro SP2 hides from network
      ... > I have tried disabling the firewall, but that doesn't have any affect (in ... > There are 5 servers in domain MSHOME on transport ... All of the systems list the same Master Browser and the same 2 ...
    • Workgroup is not accessible
      ... The computers are named Mars and Venus. ... Master browser name is held by: ... Calling NetServerEnum to enumerate WFW servers. ... Error browsing network: ...
    • RE: Cant see W2K computers when browsing
      ... but I believe these events didn't relate with the browser ... If there's any anti-virus software on the servers, ... Browstat is included in the Support Tools for Windows Server 2003. ... PLEASE NOTE the newsgroup SECURE CODE and PASSWORD were ...
      (microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs)
    • Netlogon Errors
      ... On several servers this morning I was unable to login and received the following message: ... Make sure that this computer is connected to the network. ... If this computer is a domain controller for the specified domain, it sets up the secure session to the primary domain controller emulator in the specified domain. ... Event Source: BROWSER ...
    • RE: Removing a Domain
      ... Master browser name is: SERVER1 ... There are 125 servers in domain DOMAINA on transport ...
      (microsoft.public.win2000.new_user)