Re: [fw-wiz] DNS records for a firewall NAT pool

From: Barney Wolff (
Date: 07/30/03

    To: Frank Knobbe <>
    Date: Tue, 29 Jul 2003 18:43:10 -0400

    On Tue, Jul 29, 2003 at 04:55:14PM -0500, Frank Knobbe wrote:
    > On Tue, 2003-07-29 at 12:17, Barney Wolff wrote:
    > > For example, -> -> , done
    > > by my ISP.
    > Adding to that, in most cases you get can get away by entering the IP
    > address as the host name in your zone. That way the IP
    > address can be mapped to the _hostname_ (as _string_),
    > which of course is typically resolved back to the IP address.
    > So above example would read:
    > -> "" -> 66.1114.72.185 :)

    I'd be very wary of dots in a hostname, and of hostnames beginning
    with a digit *. FreeBSD's gethostbyname seems to accept a dotted-quad
    as a name, but I'm not sure that's universal.

    * Names starting with a digit are valid in dns but not valid hostnames.
    Some systems care, some don't.

    Barney Wolff
    I'm available by contract or FT, in the NYC metro area or via the 'Net.
    firewall-wizards mailing list

    • Re: problem report bin/157732, patch included
      ... "Host software MUST handle host names of up to 63 characters and ... Since more recent RFCs allowed non-ascii hostnames, that factor should be taken into account as well. ... longer than 64 (traceroute line 1621, ... I can imagine several reasons for forbidding any hostnames> 64, ...
    • Re: ~/.hosts patch
      ... to hosts as a user or do interesting ssh port forwarding ... feature any user could redirect that host. ... fully-qualified hostnames. ...
    • Multiple hostnames with same IP address (DNS A record)
      ... Is it possible to use Kerberos (specifically OpenSSH w/GSSAPI Key Exchange) on a system with 2 hostnames, but both hostnames have the same DNS A record and therefore the same IP address? ... The odd thing about this is it only fails when ssh'ing FROM a linux host. ...
    • Re: Computer host names - recommendations
      ... > I've been searching for some guidelines/recommendations on hostnames. ... in this case a NIS server at an Arizona location. ... As for naming host names by location, I think this is a double-edged ...
    • Re: DHCP IP range + auto hostname
      ... option domain-name-servers; ... cassiopeia# host diskless131.ronet ... The clients should be able to determine their hostnames using a reverse dns lookup, and the set their hostnames automatically. ... after the machine got its IP address from the DHCP server, it should set its hostname to 'diskless131.ronet'. ...