Re: [fw-wiz] DNS records for a firewall NAT pool

From: Frank Knobbe (fknobbe_at_knobbeits.com)
Date: 07/29/03

    To: Barney Wolff <barney@databus.com>
    Date: 29 Jul 2003 16:55:14 -0500

    On Tue, 2003-07-29 at 12:17, Barney Wolff wrote:
    > There are no security risks. The name the PTR points to merely has to
    > map back to the IP. It does not have to match what the host thinks
    > of as its own name. It does not have to have an MX record, just an A.
    > It does not have to add any information not already in the IP address.
    > For example, 66.114.72.185 -> p72-185.acedsl.com -> 66.114.72.185 , done
    > by my ISP.

    Adding to that, in most cases you get can get away by entering the IP
    address as the host name in your in-addr.arpa zone. That way the IP
    address 1.2.3.4 can be mapped to the _hostname_ (as _string_) 1.2.3.4,
    which of course is typically resolved back to the IP address.

    So above example would read:

    66.114.72.185 -> "66.114.72.185" -> 66.1114.72.185 :)

    Regards,
    Frank

    • Re: Creating a service
      ... I am not able to map the drive manually from File Explorer on the ... that I have no choice but but to handle it from the host side. ... on the host respond to a connection event. ...
    • Re: COD4 patch was a waste
      ... Host migration is still garbage. ... assigns a new host and starts a new map. ... have to worry about developers including mute features in game in the first ...
      (alt.games.video.xbox)
    • Re: COD4 patch was a waste
      ... When the host is getting his ass kicked and bails the map still freaking ends. ... The only difference is that it keeps everyone together, assigns a new host and starts a new map. ... That is complete garbage and it's not a proper solution. ... Maybe if MS ever got off of their asses and fixed the profile while online we wouldn't have to worry about developers including mute features in game in the first place. ...