[fw-wiz] re: A little paranoia for the weekend... (OT)

From: Mike Hoskins (mike_at_adept.org)
Date: 07/29/03

    To: firewall-wizards@honor.icsalabs.com
    Date: Tue, 29 Jul 2003 13:34:32 -0700 (PDT)

    From: "Josh Welch" <jwelch@buffalowildwings.com>
    Date: Fri, 25 Jul 2003 10:46:19 -0500
    > Think of this when someone tries to tell you how "secure" web based
    > remote pc applications are.
    >http://www.cnn.com/2003/TECH/internet/07/23/cybercafe.security.ap/index.html

    Not so sure it's firewall related, but it's definately nothing new... I
    recall when BO (Back Orifice) was first released, various groups at a
    local 2600 meeting were going around to bookstores, coffe shops, school
    libraries, etc... anywhere they could get to a computer... and trojaning
    the systems. (That included keylogging among other things.) Around the
    same time, I noticied evidence of BO in many of the PCs in our school
    labs. (Luckily, CS/CE students mostly stuck to SPARCs. ;)

    True paranoia would insist that you never type a reusable password on an
    untrusted machine... Untrusted being any machine you haven't audited
    since it was last out of sight/network connected. ;)

    -mrh

    • Re: OT: Perceptions
      ... We all went to high school together in Alexandria, ... I recall high school as pretty much four years of sheer panic and blind ... by God-- she certainly looked hotter than hell in it. ... I was crazy about them", ...
      (alt.support.stop-smoking)
    • Re: Deleting ML2 Dataset
      ... *School District of Palm Beach County* ... Behalf Of George Rodriguez ... OU MAY CONTINUE THE RECALL IN THE BACKGROUND AND FREE YOUR TSO SESSION BY ... ARC1023A CONVERTING TO A NON-WAIT WILL FAIL THE USER REQUEST, ...
      (bit.listserv.ibm-main)
    • Re: Why dont you buy from HP?
      ... create their black and white laser printer empire and their ink jet printers are all worthless. ... air conditioning in our homes, ... I recall that the air was so polluted where I lived that visitors would chop off a chunk, and take it home as souvenirs. ... Kids don't even walk to school any more around here. ...
      (rec.photo.digital)
    • [ANNOUNCE][JOB] Postdoc in action-oriented perception, Edinburgh
      ... Postdoctoral research position at the School of Informatics, ... Applications are invited for a post-doctoral researcher to work within ... Patterns for Action-oriented perception in Roving robots. ... The researcher will be based in the Institute of Perception, ...
      (sci.cognitive)
    • Re: Why dont you buy from HP?
      ... HP printers in the past 10 years, without any trouble with any of them. ... conditioning in our homes, or schools. ... I recall that the air was so polluted where I lived that visitors would chop off a chunk, and take it home as souvenirs. ... her 10 year old son to and from school every day. ...
      (rec.photo.digital)