[fw-wiz] re: A little paranoia for the weekend... (OT)

From: Mike Hoskins (mike_at_adept.org)
Date: 07/29/03

    To: firewall-wizards@honor.icsalabs.com
    Date: Tue, 29 Jul 2003 13:34:32 -0700 (PDT)

    From: "Josh Welch" <jwelch@buffalowildwings.com>
    Date: Fri, 25 Jul 2003 10:46:19 -0500
    > Think of this when someone tries to tell you how "secure" web based
    > remote pc applications are.
    >http://www.cnn.com/2003/TECH/internet/07/23/cybercafe.security.ap/index.html

    Not so sure it's firewall related, but it's definately nothing new... I
    recall when BO (Back Orifice) was first released, various groups at a
    local 2600 meeting were going around to bookstores, coffe shops, school
    libraries, etc... anywhere they could get to a computer... and trojaning
    the systems. (That included keylogging among other things.) Around the
    same time, I noticied evidence of BO in many of the PCs in our school
    labs. (Luckily, CS/CE students mostly stuck to SPARCs. ;)

    True paranoia would insist that you never type a reusable password on an
    untrusted machine... Untrusted being any machine you haven't audited
    since it was last out of sight/network connected. ;)

    -mrh