Re: [fw-wiz] Off topic: Any one know of a good IPV6 reference book?

From: H. Morrow Long (morrow.long_at_yale.edu)
Date: 07/25/03

    To: Don Kendrick <don@hawaiidon.com>
    Date: Fri, 25 Jul 2003 15:25:37 -0400

    Don Kendrick wrote:
    > I think it's time for me to start deploying IPV6 in one of my networks.
    > I have always counted on Rich Stevens
    > for an explanation of IPV4. Before he passed on he said that he was
    > waiting to redo TCP/IP Illustrated until
    > the specs stablized a bit. That didn't happen so now we are all alone :(

    Rich Stevens was a really great guy. In 1982 when I was just still in grad school
    and starting out he worked here in New Haven on the ground floor of the same
    office building (Sigma Xi) as I, though for a different company (Puter Associates).

    I went to him for help in understanding how pointers to functions worked in C
    and he selflessly spent a great deal of time helping me to master the concept.

    At the time I had no idea of how famous he was nor would become. I read later
    that he later moved back to the southwest where he preferred to live and work.

    > Anyone got any suggestions for an alternative?

    I looked on Amazon and was surprised that there was not already a list for IPv6.
    Many firewall vendors have begun to announce current or near term support for IPv6.

    Here is the result of the Amazon search :

    Most popular results for ipv6 :

    1. IPv6 Essentials -- by Silvia Hagen; Paperback
    Buy new: $27.97 -- from: $25.99
    2. Cisco Self-Study: Implementing Cisco IPv6 Networks (IPV6) -- by Regis Desmeules; Hardcover
    Buy new: $55.00 -- from: $44.89
    3. IPv6 Clearly Explained -- by Peter Loshin, Pete Loshin; Paperback
    Buy new: $46.95 -- Used & new from: $25.41

    All 21 results for ipv6 :
    1. IPv6 Clearly Explained
    by Peter Loshin, Pete Loshin (Paperback - January 1999)
    Avg. Customer Rating:

    Usually ships in 1 to 3 weeks
    List Price: $46.95
    Buy new: $46.95
      Used & new from $25.41

    2. Cisco Self-Study: Implementing Cisco IPv6 Networks (IPV6)
    by Regis Desmeules (Hardcover)

    Usually ships in 24 hours
    List Price: $55.00
    Buy new: $55.00
      Used & new from $44.89

    3. Implementing IPV6: Supporting the Next Generation Internet Protocols
    by Mark A. Miller (Author) (Paperback)

    Out of stock
      Used & new from $16.00

    4. IPv6 Essentials
    by Silvia Hagen (Paperback - July 2002)
    Avg. Customer Rating:

    Usually ships in 3 to 4 days
    List Price: $39.95
    Buy new: $27.97
      Used & new from $25.99

    5. Understanding IPv6
    by Joseph Davies (Paperback)

    Usually ships in 24 hours
    List Price: $29.99
    Buy new: $20.99
      Used & new from $3.39

    6. IP Addressing and Subnetting, Including IPv6
    by J. D. Wegner, et al (Paperback)
    Avg. Customer Rating:

    Usually ships in 24 hours
    List Price: $59.95
    Buy new: $41.97
      Used & new from $35.90

    7. Configuring IPv6 for Cisco IOS
    by Sam Brown, et al (Paperback)
    Avg. Customer Rating:

    Usually ships in 24 hours
    List Price: $69.95
    Buy new: $48.97
      Used & new from $28.00

    8. IPv6: The New Internet Protocol (2nd Edition)
    by Christian Huitema (Paperback)
    Avg. Customer Rating:
    Editions: Paperback | more...

    Out of stock
      Used & new from $6.85

    9. Tcp/Ip: Architcture, Protocols, and Implementation With Ipv6 and Ip Security (McGraw-Hill Series on Computer Communications)
    by Sidnie Feit
    Avg. Customer Rating:
    Editions: Paperback | Digital (Adobe Reader)

    Out of Print--Limited Availability
      Used & new from $22.94

    10. Hands-On IPv6
    by Marcus Goncalves, Kitty Niles
    Avg. Customer Rating:
    Editions: Paperback (Bargain Price) | Digital (Microsoft Reader) | Digital (Adobe Reader) | more...

    Out of Print--Limited Availability
      Used & new from $5.52

    11. Big Book of Ipv6 Addressing Rfcs
    by Peter H. Salus (Compiler) (Paperback - April 2000)
    Avg. Customer Rating:
    Editions: Paperback | more...

    Usually ships in 2 to 3 days
    List Price: $34.95
    Buy new: $34.95
      Used & new from $16.94

    12. IPv6: The Next Generation Protocol
    by Stewart S. Miller
    Avg. Customer Rating:
    Editions: Paperback | Unknown Binding

    Out of Print--Limited Availability
      Used & new from $17.95

    13. TCP/IP: Architecture, Protocols, and Implementation with IPv6 and IP Security (McGraw-Hill Computer Communications Series)
    by Sidnie, Dr Feit (Paperback)
    Avg. Customer Rating:
    Editions: Hardcover | Paperback | more...

    Out of stock
      Used & new from $6.94

    14. Ipv6 Clearly Explained

    Not yet released.
    List Price: $49.95
    Buy new: $34.97

    15. IPv6: Addressing The Needs Of the Future [DOWNLOAD: PDF]
    by Yankee Group (Author) (Digital)

    Available for download now
    List Price: $595.00
    Buy new: $595.00

    16. Early Interest Rising for IPv6 [DOWNLOAD: PDF]
    by IDC (Author) (Digital)

    Available for download now
    List Price: $1,500.00
    Buy new: $1,500.00

    17. Migrating to IPv6 - IPv6 in Practice: IPv6 in Practice
    by Marc Blanchet (Paperback - November 2002)

    Not yet released.
    List Price: $55.00
    Buy new: $55.00

    18. A Tale of Two Wireless Technology Trends: Processor Development Outsourcing and IPv6 [DOWNLOAD: PDF]
    by Yankee Group (Author) (Digital)

    Out of stock

    19. The Concise Guide to Ipv6 (The Concise Guide)
    by Blair Rampling

    Out of Print--Limited Availability

    20. Internetworking IPv6 with Cisco Routers (McGraw-Hill Computer Communications Series)
    by Silvano Gai, Silvano Gai
    Avg. Customer Rating:

    Out of Print--Limited Availability

    21. Implementing Ipv6 (Network Troubleshooting Library)
    by Mark A. Miller

    Out of Print--Limited Availability
      Used & new from $9.00

                                    # # #