Re: [fw-wiz] ip track through natting

From: Devdas Bhagat (dvb_at_users.sourceforge.net)
Date: 07/25/03

    To: firewall-wizards@honor.icsalabs.com
    Date: Fri, 25 Jul 2003 09:13:47 +0530

    On 24/07/03 12:40 -0400, Paul Robertson wrote:
    > On Wed, 23 Jul 2003, parul devgan wrote:
    >
    > > The mail server is on a private network, the client ip
    > > address is natted when the request comes to the mail
    > > server. The problem is that I have to find the client
    > > ip address without the nat address.
    > >

    > That's an abnormal setup. You should NAT the server's address, not the
    > client's. Otherwise, you'll have to get the info from the NAT device, or
    > trust the EHLO/HELO or message headers.
    This is typical for an ISP setup here, where a small redistributor will NAT
    from a single IP address and have his clients use his providers SMTP
    server. Not a good thing, but people like to go cheap :(.
    To the OP, this is simply not possible. You either run a server on the
    NATing device and use that, or you use SMTP AUTH.

    Devdas Bhagat

    • Re: FTP Server setup... Im so close!
      ... > I have installed the Internet Information Services, etc, and have the FTP ... Your external client is trying to use Passive Mode. ... Since your server is behind NAT, ...
    • Re: AD & NAT
      ... need to NAT you. ... The client is a demerged company of the parent. ... The demerged company or client wants to set up its own AD server ... understanding purpose we would call it as primary datacentre while ...
    • Re: send email
      ... Yours, the *mail server*, presumably ... The client wants to be able to send ... server via one of two protocols, POP or IMAP. ...
      (alt.os.linux.redhat)
    • Re: [PHP] NAT Traversal
      ... If client is using a proxy then store session id against actual IP + proxy ... If client is using NAT then store session against the NAT addr + the ... proxies my connections out to the internet with the public IP 80.1.1.1. ... Your server, on the internet, cannot access my local machine ...
      (php.general)
    • Re: Need Outlook Express Help
      ... downloaded all the e-mails again from the server ... outside of OE or with the mail server to which OE connects. ... Your e-mail client is going to ... sending e-mails to the AV inspector instead of to the real mail server. ...
      (microsoft.public.outlook)