Re: [fw-wiz] Home firewall/NAT appliances

From: Baruch Even (baruch_at_jungo.com)
Date: 07/18/03

    To: firewall-wizards@honor.icsalabs.com
    Date: 18 Jul 2003 18:29:33 +0300

    On Wed, 2003-07-16 at 16:22, Dave Piscitello wrote:
    > Most every home firewall/NAT appliance I've configured
    > comes with an out-of-the-box default policy of "allow any outbound".
    >
    > Is this everyone's experience?

    The software we develop does have a default of allow any outbound, to
    the best of my knowledge any other home appliance will also come with
    the same default.

    The other option is to allow specific services out, but if you allow one
    service out, it will be HTTP, and then any other program can go outside,
    and most will, f.ex. most p2p programs will use port 80 if their default
    port is blocked.

    Due to the fact that the firewall software is not present on the
    connection originating machine it cannot block specific applications as
    a personal firewall can.

    Baruch

    --
    Baruch Even
    Software Engineer

    • Re: keeping ports open
      ... If a port is open, it means that 1) a software or service is running on your ... and 2) you're not using a firewall or your firewall isn't ... Use firewall software and hardware and antivirus software that is ... Follow the instructions for hardening Windows and IIS at ...
      (microsoft.public.security)
    • Re: How to Maintain an IIS Server?
      ... > server running on a Windows 2000 server. ... before a firewall and antivirus have been installed]. ... open ports; however, this will not identify which program is using the port. ...
    • Re: CEICW fails at firewall config
      ... ISA Server prevents connection to a remote desktop when you connect through ... Remote Web Workplace on a Windows Small Business Server 2003-based computer ... Acceleration Server as a firewall. ... connection uses TCP port 4125. ...
      (microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs)
    • Re: How to Maintain an IIS Server?
      ... >> server running on a Windows 2000 server. ... > before a firewall and antivirus have been installed]. ... > program or executable using that port. ...
    • Re: Is secedit.exe left by a hacker?
      ... > tested on port 445. ... > I have a Linksys router that I use as a firewall to my ... Secedit.exe is the name of a legitimate Windows file, ... investigate the files on your computer - antivirus with the latest updates ...
      (microsoft.public.win2000.security)