Re: [fw-wiz] Home firewall/NAT appliances

From: Baruch Even (baruch_at_jungo.com)
Date: 07/18/03

    To: firewall-wizards@honor.icsalabs.com
    Date: 18 Jul 2003 18:29:33 +0300

    On Wed, 2003-07-16 at 16:22, Dave Piscitello wrote:
    > Most every home firewall/NAT appliance I've configured
    > comes with an out-of-the-box default policy of "allow any outbound".
    >
    > Is this everyone's experience?

    The software we develop does have a default of allow any outbound, to
    the best of my knowledge any other home appliance will also come with
    the same default.

    The other option is to allow specific services out, but if you allow one
    service out, it will be HTTP, and then any other program can go outside,
    and most will, f.ex. most p2p programs will use port 80 if their default
    port is blocked.

    Due to the fact that the firewall software is not present on the
    connection originating machine it cannot block specific applications as
    a personal firewall can.

    Baruch

    --
    Baruch Even