[fw-wiz] Security Audit and Priorities

From: Paul Ammann (pammann_at_execomm.net)
Date: 07/13/03

    To: <firewall-wizards@honor.icsalabs.com>
    Date: Sun, 13 Jul 2003 09:10:25 -0700

    Thanks to everyone for sharing your thoughts. I really do appreciate the
    help.

    I was at the bookstore last night and found 3 books that'll provide me
    immediate solutions in the short term, and help plan long term:

    - Linux Security Cookbook
    - Building Secure Servers with Linux
    - Hardening Cisco Routers

    All books are from O'Reilly. It's one thing to be a firewall admin and write
    and maintain security policies. I've never given much thought to Oracle,
    Linux and Cisco routers before. But it is a huge opportunity to learn. ;-)
    And I bought "Honeypots: Tracking Hackers" by Lance Spitzner.

    While I'm thinking about it, I know the company doesn't have a IDS system in
    place. I was looking at Snort as a possibility. Has anyone had experience
    with Snort?

    Paul