[fw-wiz] Security Audit and Priorities

From: Paul Ammann (pammann_at_execomm.net)
Date: 07/13/03

    To: <firewall-wizards@honor.icsalabs.com>
    Date: Sat, 12 Jul 2003 17:53:30 -0700

    Hi

    I will be starting a new job in the next few weeks. I went to Netcraft and
    typed in the company's URL and was amazed by what I saw: the version of
    Linux, the version of Apache, the version of OpenSSL... literally everything
    about their web servers.

    I have a lot of experience with firewalls, but I'll profess my ignorance in
    other security areas. So, here are my two questions:

    1. What is the best way to block Netcraft from obtain all this information.
    Are there Open Source solutions that would be better than commercial
    solutions?

    2. The company has acknowledged they are lacking in security. What is the
    best method for doing a security audit?

    Thanks in advanced!

    Paul

    • RE: Preventing OS Detection
      ... If I go to http://uptime.netcraft.com and enter my website, ... in the windows registry to prevent Netcraft from ... Astaro Security Linux -- firewall with Spam/Virus Protection ...
      (Focus-Microsoft)
    • RE: Preventing OS Detection
      ... If I go to http://uptime.netcraft.com and enter my website, ... registry changes to prevent others from identifying my web servers OS? ... Astaro Security Linux -- firewall with Spam/Virus Protection ...
      (Focus-Microsoft)
    • RE: Preventing OS Detection
      ... If I go to http://uptime.netcraft.com and enter my website, ... in the windows registry to prevent Netcraft from ... Astaro Security Linux -- firewall with Spam/Virus Protection ...
      (Focus-Microsoft)