RE: [fw-wiz] linux firewall

From: Melson, Paul (PMelson_at_sequoianet.com)
Date: 07/08/03

    To: "Gareth Slaven <gareth.s@envent.co.za>" <IMCEANOTES-Gareth+20Slaven+20+3Cgareth+2Es+40envent+2Eco+2Eza+3E@sequoianet.com>, <firewall-wizards@honor.icsalabs.com>
    Date: Tue, 8 Jul 2003 09:06:43 -0400

    http://www.distrowatch.com/dwres.php?resource=firewalls

    I've deployed both Astaro and Mandrake Single Network Firewall (now defunct, replaced by Multi Network Firewall). They're both stable, robust systems with nice web management interfaces. I would not recommend either of these to someone with no Linux background, however, as troubleshooting will almost certainly require someone to access a bash prompt, interact with services, and edit files with `vi`.

    Also, for those who haven't seen this already, there's an interesting article from SysAdmin about using a halted Linux kernel as a secure packet filtering firewall. (http://www.samag.com/documents/s=1824/sam0201d/0201d.htm)

    PaulM