Re: [fw-wiz] linux firewall

From: Paul Robertson (proberts_at_patriot.net)
Date: 07/08/03

    To: Gareth Slaven <gareth.s@envent.co.za>
    Date: Mon, 7 Jul 2003 23:15:32 -0400 (EDT)

    On Mon, 7 Jul 2003, Gareth Slaven wrote:

    > Hi there ...
    >
    > I am trying to find a out of the box linux firewall with proper Admin tools
    > etc ... anyone got any ideas?

    Choosing the OS before figuring out what security policy to enforce, and
    what mechanisms to enforce it with is putting the cart before the penguin.

    You should choose a firewall that supports your security policy and
    network architecture with some strategic vision sprinkled in. Lots of
    commercial products are Linux-based, especially in the appliance market.

    You should also look at _what_ you're protecting and try to make the
    network more hetrogeneous, so if you plan on protecting lots of Linux
    systems, you might look at a BSD-based solution.

    Paul