Re: [fw-wiz] linux firewall

From: Paul Robertson (
Date: 07/08/03

    To: Gareth Slaven <>
    Date: Mon, 7 Jul 2003 23:15:32 -0400 (EDT)

    On Mon, 7 Jul 2003, Gareth Slaven wrote:

    > Hi there ...
    > I am trying to find a out of the box linux firewall with proper Admin tools
    > etc ... anyone got any ideas?

    Choosing the OS before figuring out what security policy to enforce, and
    what mechanisms to enforce it with is putting the cart before the penguin.

    You should choose a firewall that supports your security policy and
    network architecture with some strategic vision sprinkled in. Lots of
    commercial products are Linux-based, especially in the appliance market.

    You should also look at _what_ you're protecting and try to make the
    network more hetrogeneous, so if you plan on protecting lots of Linux
    systems, you might look at a BSD-based solution.

    Paul D. Robertson "My statements in this message are personal opinions which may have no basis whatsoever in fact." Director of Risk Assessment TruSecure Corporation

    firewall-wizards mailing list

    • RE: [Full-Disclosure] Linux firewall
      ... Considering that you can get a cisco 501 for around $500 and as long as you ... Subject: Linux firewall ... protect against them. ...
    • Re: Best Linux Firewall?
      ... > What is the best Linux firewall script\program, ... once with a three line masquerade script and another ... > time with a NAT script and basic firewall. ... Download ISO, Burn to CD, stick in computer, it will format and install its ...
    • Re: Astaro Security Linux
      ... portscan detection, connection tracking, encrypted ... restore a configuration, and automatic online retrieval ... Subject: Building Home server....need firewall ... I'd suggest using Astaro Linux Firewall ...
    • Re: Best Linux Firewall?
      ... >What is the best Linux firewall script\program, ... >with a NAT script and basic firewall. ... >he also got access to my registry (Needless to say, the remote registry ...
    • Re: New modem and iptables...
      ... your Linux firewall off. ... The router performs firewall and NAT functions ... If you want to persuade me it's a modem, ...