[fw-wiz] webtrends, serving publically:

From: R. DuFresne (dufresne_at_sysinfo.com)
Date: 06/23/03

    To: "'firewall-wizards@honor.icsalabs.com'" <firewall-wizards@honor.icsalabs.com>
    Date: Mon, 23 Jun 2003 14:34:13 -0400 (EDT)

    Folks,

    netIQ has a web analysis product, webtrends, which is also known as their
    e-business reporting center. I'm sure some on the list have seen.used/and
    evaluated the product. Large applications like this worry me, when they
    are exposed to the websurfing public, or the public at large. We are
    evaluating such a possible placement of the system hosting the service.

    The bugtraq archives list two older, 1999 and 2001, if I recall
    corrrectly, issues with the product in an exposed or 'open' environment.
    We'd be using a newer version of the product, so the particular issues
    documented at bugtraq should not be our worry. But, do others have the
    same misgivings about exposing such a system to public pounding?

    Has anyone used such a system in an exposed environment, successfully,
    meaning that the system has remained unhacked/cracked and secure for a
    decent period of time, or have others that use|ed the product used it only
    in a protected environment?

    Thanks,

    Ron DuFresne

    --
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
            admin & senior security consultant:  sysinfo.com

    • Re: Tk make test fails completely in Linux/KDE (was: Re: Tcl/Tk 8.5.0 Release Candidates)
      ... Most tests failed and on one test tktest hangs and does not respond ... FVWM to run the Tk test suite. ... So, basically don't worry, or worry a lot. ... environment, and Joe English was looking into it at one point. ...
      (comp.lang.tcl)
    • Re: renaming files - FMP 8
      ... If your solution works in your given environment let it stay the way it is. ... That's my recommendation. ... You need to worry about naming only if your 'environment' changes, ... could be the use of certain plugins: I know once I had to struggle with the ...
      (comp.databases.filemaker)
    • Re: Exactly what is a genius?
      ... I am not sure if smarter people worry more or not, ... I think environment plays a large part in that. ... lot to do with expectations, especially the expectations of others, ... The Joneses in one place may place great importance on having the ...
      (rec.arts.sf.written)
    • Re: Linksys router and file sharing (Security)
      ... > neighbours for atleast a mile;o) ... then i don't think there is much for you to worry about. ... environment, you are going to notice a guy in a parked car with an antenna ...
      (microsoft.public.security)
    • Re: Is Disney building any new rides?
      ... Dickens and Dostoyevky have died down. ... has to worry about is that if they don't maintain the environment well and ...
      (rec.arts.disney.parks)