RE: [fw-wiz] Re: SMTP Proxies and Application Proxies for Lotus

From: Marcus J. Ranum (mjr_at_ranum.com)
Date: 06/22/03

    To: firewall-wizards@honor.icsalabs.com
    Date: Sun, 22 Jun 2003 17:34:55 -0400

    Joseph Steinberg wrote:
    >Vis--vis the Air Gap platform -- rather than repeat the same discussion
    >that we all had several years ago -- let's simply agree that if you have a
    >secure hardware architecture (to deal with level 2-4 attacks) and you add

    What is a "Secure Hardware Architecture"? I mean, isn't it
    going to be running software on top of it?? The Orange Book
    guys tried to build "secure hardware" (e.g. LOCK, etc) during
    the 1980's and that was pretty much of a failure...

    In other words I don't agree. ;) Just calling something "secure"
    is just marketing.

    mjr.