Re: [fw-wiz] HTTPS, proxies, and remote developers.

From: Barney Wolff (barney_at_databus.com)
Date: 06/15/03

    To: Firewall-Wizards <firewall-wizards@honor.icsalabs.com>
    Date: Sun, 15 Jun 2003 17:26:39 -0400

    On Sat, Jun 14, 2003 at 01:31:03AM +0530, Devdas Bhagat wrote:
    > I recently setup a mailserver for a software development company. The
    > server has a web interface through usermin for password changing and
    > handling GPG keys, running on a high port.
    > This company has software developers located at their client locations,
    > in different countries.
    > The clients have proxies that block access to https, nor will they
    > permit ssh/VPNs from their network to the development company by the
    > offsite employees.
    > The company has asked about the option of moving this to HTTP, but I have
    > advised against it (given that GPG keys *may* be exposed on the
    > Internet). If the company insists, I will move them to HTTP, with a
    > written warning of the risk they are accepting.

    Given the known and limited specific things that the web interface would
    be providing, can't you get the same functions by having the clients
    send PGP encrypted email to an address that's aliased to a script?

    If the client co won't allow outbound encrypted email, then just have
    the developers access the web interface from home.

    --
    Barney Wolff         http://www.databus.com/bwresume.pdf
    I'm available by contract or FT, in the NYC metro area or via the 'Net.

    • [fw-wiz] HTTPS, proxies, and remote developers.
      ... I recently setup a mailserver for a software development company. ... handling GPG keys, ... The remote client does not like the idea. ... unencrypted traffic outbound from their network into yours. ...
      (Firewall-Wizards)
    • Re: Trouble understanding clause in software development contract
      ... I've recently found my first client for my new software development ... and have found a simple software development contract to use. ... Another problem is that it was obviously written with US law in mind, ...
      (uk.legal)
    • Position for Sr. Software Development Engineer Consultant | PA, Pittsburgh | 6 Months + |
      ... I am currently in search of an experienced Software Development ... Client / server software development experience. ... Technical writing, system documentation, design document-management ...
    • Re: Trouble understanding clause in software development contract
      ... and have found a simple software development contract to use. ... You need to think about the following, and ensure that there is something in the contract about each of them: ... Bug fixes - if a bug is found, either in your software or in some tool you use to build it on, how do you handle this? ... Product enhancements - whatever you do, do not get suckered into signing a contract that gives the client the right to come back to you for free upgrades. ...
      (uk.legal)