RE: [fw-wiz] OT: FTP Servers

From: Bojan Zdrnja (Bojan.Zdrnja_at_LSS.hr)
Date: 06/09/03

    To: "'John Smith'" <john.smith@minolta-qms.com>, <firewall-wizards@honor.icsalabs.com>
    Date: Mon, 9 Jun 2003 14:05:42 +1200

    Although it was already mentioned, I'd suggest proftpd.

    I found that one pretty stable and it has good security vulnerabilities
    history. Latest version are getting maybe a bit too many new features, but
    it is still the best ftpd IMHO.

    If you are concerned about security for accounts on your server and people
    will need access through ftp to them (not just anonymous read-only access),
    proftpd 1.2.8 supports TLS so you can use that to protect your data.

    You can find it at: http://www.proftpd.org

    Best regards,

    Bojan Zdrnja

    (www.wu-ftpd.org)
    was last updated 2/18/2003.

        If WU-FTPD is not a good FTP server to use or there are better (i.e.
    - more secure) servers out there, what would you suggest? The needs for
    the site are anonymous FTP, potentially some 'real' FTP users, and up to
    500 simultaneous FTP connections. And of course the FTP server should
    be free. :-)

        Thank you.

    John

    • Re: Microsoft FTP Server problem on W2K?
      ... It is a UNISYS ClearPath mainframe system that is trying to FTP using ... passive mode to a MS FTP server. ... Currently the mainframe FTPs in ACTIVE mode. ... Since the mainframe pushes files to our customers over a WAN connection, ...
    • RE: FTP Upload
      ... FTP server to the following specified size. ... //set or get the remote path of the FTP server that you want to connect. ... //set the class MessageString. ...
    • Re: FTP Upload
      ... FTP server to the following specified size. ... //set or get the remote path of the FTP server that you want to connect. ... //set the class MessageString. ...
    • RE: vsftpd beginners tutorial?
      ... # This file was created to illustrate the steps needed to create a new FTP ... Why vsftpd as this FTP Server? ... System software customization considerations. ... User and Group Configuration ...
      (RedHat)
    • Re: IPSwitch, Inc. WS_FTP Server
      ... > bounce attack as well as PASV connection hijacking. ... > The FTP bounce vulnerability allows a remote attacker to cause the ... > anonymously along with any internal addresses that the FTP server has ... That means it's got to handle a PORT ...
      (Bugtraq)