RE: [fw-wiz] OT: FTP Servers

From: Sloane, David (DSloane_at_vfa.com)
Date: 06/06/03

    To: firewall-wizards@honor.icsalabs.com, john.smith@minolta-qms.com
    Date: Fri, 6 Jun 2003 16:44:57 -0400

    First, I don't know if WU-FTPD is still a good server or not.

    I've had good luck setting up vsftpd on linux recently.

    See http://vsftpd.beasts.org

    The author is a bit... enthusiastic about his project, but don't be put off
    by the unusual exuberance.

    The documentation is good but a little scattered - the man pages are the
    most complete reference.

    Security and performance seem to be the twin goals of the server and I've
    found that it performs well. My (public-facing) ftp site doesn't get a lot
    of traffic, so I can't say "It's really secure" with any conviction.

    I've found it integrates well with PAM security on Red Hat 9. If you're
    making a dedicated ftp server, this integration is quite useful. For
    example, you can set system-wide password-aging and disk quotas, which will
    then apply to all of your ftp users. You can chroot local users
    (chroot_local_user=YES in the vsftpd.conf file) so that each user sees her
    home directory as the ftp server root (forgive me if this is obvious to you
    *nix wizards). It's good stuff.

    Version 1.2.0 of vsftpd just came out, but I'm still running 1.1.3 in
    production till I have time to test the new build.

    Good luck.

    -David