[fw-wiz] [Administrivia] List Traffic/Level

From: Paul Robertson (proberts_at_patriot.net)
Date: 06/04/03

    To: firewall-wizards@honor.icsalabs.com
    Date: Tue, 3 Jun 2003 23:35:38 -0400 (EDT)

    It's coming up on a year for me/ICSA Labs hosting Firewall-Wizards. While
    my moderation style has been different than Marcus', I've gotten mostly
    positive feedback.

    Over the last year, I've found myself trying to make up for the old
    unmoderated Firewalls list going to the dogs, getting new names on the
    list's archives instead of just the "usual suspects," and revisting some
    of the dead horses to see if anything has changed with the times.

    I've been considering an alternative to the current moderation strategy
    for a while now, and this seems as good a time as any to propose it.

    That would be to generate a second list, then bounce "boring," and
    "simple" questions to that list _as_well_ as the normal list traffic.
    That'd mean if you were subscribed to the current list, traffic volume
    would go down, but if you were subscribed to the new list, you wouldn't
    need to be subscribed to two seperate lists. The thresholds for topics
    that ramble might also get them migrated- if it's a go, I'll work on the
    mechanics.

    So, here's what I'd like you to do. Think about it, and send me (not the
    list) an e-mail that says one of the following:

    A. Yes!
    B. No, keep things the way they are.

    That's it- it's a binary choice. If you want to rant, ramble or whatever,
    feel free- if I get a flood of messages, I might not be able to reply to
    them all though.

    I'll look at the feedback, then post a summary of things and we'll take it
    from there. If things don't get too busy, I'll probably weigh back in on
    Friday with the summary.

    Thanks,

    Paul