RE: [fw-wiz] Home Environment Cisco

From: R. DuFresne (dufresne_at_sysinfo.com)
Date: 05/30/03

    To: "Loomis, Rip" <GILBERT.R.LOOMIS@saic.com>
    Date: Fri, 30 May 2003 17:21:15 -0400 (EDT)

            [SNIP]

    > I've been using Solaris, Linux, Windows, *BSD, and security
    > appliances for several years too. I would agree with Ben
    > Nagy's recommendation (Cisco 17xx) or Wes Noonan (PIX 5xx),
    > or consider a Netscreen 25. Any of those are probably
    > overkill--but they're all featureful, reliable, and *much*
    > easier to configure in my experience than iptables/pf/ipfilter.
    >
    > I have no issue with advocacy, and I currently use all three
    > of the above $freely-available-packet-filter implementations
    > for Real Work...but I'd prefer we try to answer the question
    > asked with a more appropriate response. Just my suggestion,
    > anyway.

    And yet, prior to the sudden appearance of all the blackbox security
    devices hitting the market in recent years, this was probably one of the
    most common answers to such questions through the early 90's here and on
    the old <defunct?> firewalls list for homeuser options and 'get it up
    quick and cheap' solutions. And, still not too awfully bogus and answer
    in this day and age either. Especially, considering the vast number of
    cheapo boxes that can handle this task without any real bit to the wallet
    in the backside. I was looking at the anything.pc.com website just today,
    and a 450mhz dell box, 65 gig drive, 128 megs ram, and a few other odds
    and ends probably not needed for the task as a fw/router was a mere 175!
    The local wantads almost anyplace can supply something on the same cost
    range for a person. Saves that SUN system at home from being wasted to
    this task, and still comes off cheaper, even adding a monitor and
    keyboard, should they not come with the box, then many of the soho
    solutions offered. Support? irc channels on most any irc network can
    help there, not to mention that those that still remember and use usenet
    has a proliferation of comp.os... groups.

    I was surprised it took as long as it did for that answer to hit the list,
    not long ago it would have been perhaps the first through the tenth or
    more reply...

    Thanks,

    Ron DuFresne

    --
            admin & senior security consultant:  sysinfo.com