Re: [fw-wiz] Benefit of firewall over NAT-only 'protected' networ k

From: Crispin Cowan (crispin_at_immunix.com)
Date: 05/29/03

    To: "Noonan, Wesley" <Wesley_Noonan@bmc.com>
    Date: Wed, 28 May 2003 16:48:07 -0700

    Noonan, Wesley wrote:

    >>What's wrong with irc? It is a good communication tool.
    >>

    >Got a business use for it? Until then, it doesn't matter how good it is, it
    >doesn't go through the firewall...

    Some of the best real-time tech support for various open source software
    is available through public IRC channels:

        * #kernelnewbies , irc.oftc.net, www.kernelnewbies.org
        * #redhat , irc.freenode.net
        * #immunix on both irc.oftc.net and irc.freenode.net

    Crispin

    --
    Crispin Cowan, Ph.D.           http://immunix.com/~crispin/
    Chief Scientist, Immunix       http://immunix.com

    • Re: Firewall
      ... baskitcaise wrote: ... > A firewall is always needed no matter what type of machine it is (home, ... > business) if it is going to be allowed net access. ...
      (alt.linux)
    • Re: Firewall recommendation
      ... that a NAT router provides BASIC firewall capability, ... would not use a consumer-grade firewall/router to protect our own ... networks, nor would we recommend one to our clients, which in turn ... my 6 client business is running with a consumer ...
      (microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs)
    • Re: Suggest firewall for Win98se+ICS(dialup)+NAV
      ... to go out and buy all new boxes capable of running Win 2000 Pro or Win XP ... |> either disable the firewall or otherwise change its settings. ... vulnerability in a small business environment is from the inside, ... Any disgruntled Win 98 SE user can obviously walk in and install something ...
      (comp.security.firewalls)
    • Re: Uptick in Viruses?
      ... I then handed him a printout of what he had spent having me clean systems during the time I had been recommending the firewall, and it was $700 more than the firewall would have cost him. ... I recently sold an X550e to a 25-user business, and they had the same minor complaints for a week or so, then figured out that they had to work instead of play. ... First of all, what does a peeve look like, and why would anyone want one as a pet? ... Productivity increased about 20% overall, ...
      (microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs)
    • Re: Firewall recommendation
      ... that a NAT router provides BASIC firewall capability, ... networks, nor would we recommend one to our clients, which in turn ... my 6 client business is running with a consumer ... OK, I guessed low at 90%, since your recommendation to use consumer-grade ...
      (microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs)