Re: [fw-wiz] help in firewall

From: Carson Gaspar (
Date: 05/28/03

    Date: Wed, 28 May 2003 15:57:54 -0400

    --On Wednesday, May 28, 2003 10:01:42 -0400 Paul Robertson
    <> wrote:

    > On Wed, 28 May 2003, karthikeyan c wrote:
    >> we are interested in implementing a firewall using java.we would like
    > Like most things, the answer is "it depends." Can you, sure, it's been
    > done before, and no doubt will be done again. Is it the best language
    > for implementing a firewall? I don't happen to think that any language
    > that wants that large of a runtime environment is a good language for a
    > security application.

    Actually, I've been thinking quite a lot about Java, and its use writing
    secure code. I, too, think the JVM adds a lot of complexity that I don't
    want. However, if I could code in Java without the JVM (which is possible,
    although not common), I'd get:

    - good memory management (buh-bye buffer overflows and memory leaks)
    - good exception handling (if I never have to manually unwind a call tree
    in C again, I'll jump for joy)
    - strong typing
    - decent object model
    - good threads

    Java calling system library functions looks pretty good...

    firewall-wizards mailing list