Re: [fw-wiz] help in firewall

From: Carson Gaspar (carson_at_taltos.org)
Date: 05/28/03

    To: firewall-wizards@icsalabs.com
    Date: Wed, 28 May 2003 15:57:54 -0400

    --On Wednesday, May 28, 2003 10:01:42 -0400 Paul Robertson
    <proberts@patriot.net> wrote:

    > On Wed, 28 May 2003, karthikeyan c wrote:
    >> we are interested in implementing a firewall using java.we would like
    >
    > Like most things, the answer is "it depends." Can you, sure, it's been
    > done before, and no doubt will be done again. Is it the best language
    > for implementing a firewall? I don't happen to think that any language
    > that wants that large of a runtime environment is a good language for a
    > security application.

    Actually, I've been thinking quite a lot about Java, and its use writing
    secure code. I, too, think the JVM adds a lot of complexity that I don't
    want. However, if I could code in Java without the JVM (which is possible,
    although not common), I'd get:

    - good memory management (buh-bye buffer overflows and memory leaks)
    - good exception handling (if I never have to manually unwind a call tree
    in C again, I'll jump for joy)
    - strong typing
    - decent object model
    - good threads

    Java calling system library functions looks pretty good...

    --
    Carson

    • Re: ARC or ARCH ?
      ... > were right to try to design a better language than Common Lisp. ... Java did this nearly perfectly. ... And it provided automatic memory management. ... Perl is another good example: ...
      (comp.lang.lisp)
    • Re: Using Java Web Start
      ... What version of Java do they run. ... > I used this for a fairly controlled group of users, inside the firewall. ... > you to download and install Java. ... > writing detailed instructions on how to install the JRE, ...
      (comp.lang.java.programmer)
    • Re: Firewall or spywear affecting game discussion?
      ... firewall you installed, what was the name of that firewall? ... Online games are usually developed using Flash, Java, or Virtual Machine. ... The most likely solution to a problem with an online game is to install, upgrade, ...
      (microsoft.public.windowsxp.games)
    • Re: Natted IP
      ... >>local IP and can guess other protocols that might be allowed through the ... >>against a target and required for firewall protocol tunneling exploits. ... >>run only with JS enabled with Java applets disabled. ... tunnel through a firewall using blind protocols such as an exposed UDP ...
      (alt.computer.security)
    • Re: Socket Problem: Client connects to a server that does not exit!
      ... My question was how is it possible for a client to connect ) to a localhost service if that service does not exists? ... Some people suggested that I might have a "smart" firewall... ... What I said was 'This isn't Java, I first observed this behaviour about 1992'. ... So that would indicate it's a TCP stack bug. ...
      (comp.lang.java.programmer)