Re: [fw-wiz] Benefit of firewall over NAT-only 'protected' network

From: Paul Robertson (proberts_at_patriot.net)
Date: 05/28/03

    To: Hugh Blandford <hugh@island.net.au>
    Date: Tue, 27 May 2003 22:50:28 -0400 (EDT)

    On Wed, 28 May 2003, Hugh Blandford wrote:

    > Please take into consideration that if they had a firewall, it would be
    > setup to allow all outbound traffic and let the 'responses' back in. There

    That's a silly and mostly specious pre-requisite. For instance, most
    small office users have *no* need for IRC, and given that IRC is *the*
    major control vector for trojaned machines, why the heck would you allow it
    outbound from a small office? Nuke 6667/tcp outbound and you decrease the
    chance of being owned rather significantly, and you break less than 1/2 of
    1% of SOHO users.

    You shouldn't choose "basically no security policy, now what firewall
    fits?" any more than "Here's a firewall, now what policy should it
    support?"

    If we don't try to do better, things won't get better.

    You need to look at the threats to such environments and then design
    protecitons to meet the real risks, not choose an arbitrary line in the
    sand then say "I'm going to defend this postion because it's not worth
    doing better."

    What's the threat, what's the cost to protect against it, and what's the
    cost of not protecting- without a risk analysis, you're checking the
    security checkbox without doing security.

    Paul