Re: [fw-wiz] FYI: PIX v6.3(1) fixed ISAKMP Renegotiation Problems

From: Brian Ford (brford_at_cisco.com)
Date: 05/20/03

    To: TSimons@Delphi-Tech.com, firewall-wizards@honor.icsalabs.com
    Date: Tue, 20 May 2003 12:57:39 -0400

    Todd,

    I found several inaccuracies in your message.

    The article you pointed at here:
    >http://www.searchNetworking.com/tip/1,289483,sid7_gci881071,00.html

    was not published by Cisco.

    The article also has nothing to do with PIX Firewalls (or Firewalls Wizards
    but I can't fault you for poor moderation ;-) ).

    The article you pointed out claims to solve a problem by clearing the IPSec
    configuration on an Cisco IOS router. Not a PIX Firewall.

    For good information on IPSec interoperability see: http://www.icsalabs.com.

    Liberty for All,

    Brian

    At 12:00 PM 5/20/2003 -0400, firewall-wizards-request@honor.icsalabs.com wrote:
    >Message: 3
    >From: TSimons@Delphi-Tech.com
    >To: firewall-wizards@honor.icsalabs.com
    >Date: Mon, 19 May 2003 16:35:46 -0400
    >Subject: [fw-wiz] FYI: PIX v6.3(1) fixed ISAKMP Renegotiation Problems
    >
    >Hello All
    >
    >I'm not sure how many of you had to deal with this, but it was real tough in
    >the SEF (aka Raptor) to PIX VPN arena...
    >
    >There was a bug in the PIX IOS that prohibited it from renegotiating
    >properly. Cisco finally owned up to it and it was released in this article:
    >http://www.searchNetworking.com/tip/1,289483,sid7_gci881071,00.html
    >
    >Those of you who work with SEF/Raptor, know that it was always a pain
    >keeping the VPNs from going stale. PIX v6.3(1) finally addresses this
    >issue. Since it was implemented we haven't seen the VPN go down once (knock
    >on wood)
    >
    >Thanks,
    >~Todd
    >__________________________________
    >Todd M. Simons
    >Senior MIS Engineer
    >Dell Tier 1 PA Technician
    >Delphi Technology, Inc.
    >New Brunswick, NJ
    >
    >God Bless America and
    > those who defend her.

    Brian Ford
    Consulting Engineer
    Corporate Consulting Engineering, Office of the Chief Technology Officer
    Cisco Systems, Inc.
    http://www.cisco.com
    e-mail: brford@cisco.com

    • RE: [fw-wiz] FYI: PIX v6.3(1) fixed ISAKMP Renegotiation Problems
      ... PIX v6.3talk nice, ... The article also has nothing to do with PIX Firewalls (or Firewalls Wizards ... configuration on an Cisco IOS router. ... >Todd M. Simons ...
      (Firewall-Wizards)
    • Cisco PIX 515E vs. Fortinet Fortigate-300
      ... Firewall Evaluation ... Cisco PIX 515E vs. Fortinet Fortigate-300 ... Fortigate firewall. ...
      (comp.security.firewalls)
    • RE: Firewall Hardware Recommendations
      ... but Cisco makes for good medicine also. ... next time I setup a PIX I'll have to load it on up and give it a shot. ... WatchGuard has you pay for VPN lic's. ...
      (Security-Basics)
    • RE: Router with security features
      ... Subject: Router with security features ... Cisco makes an even cheaper and smaller pix firewall. ... Pix 520's it just does not come with more powerful hardware. ...
      (Security-Basics)
    • RE: VPN overkill?
      ... Since you guys sound like a Cisco shop, any of the Cisco 1700, 2600 or ... IOS IOS ... IOS PIX ... If your future plans are to increase the number of sites connecting via ...
      (Security-Basics)