[fw-wiz] Soap - Was RPCs over HTTPS through the firewall

From: Mason Schmitt (hr824_at_sunwave.net)
Date: 05/01/03

    To: firewall-wizards@honor.icsalabs.com
    Date: 01 May 2003 13:39:43 -0700

    What I'm curious about is whether the members of this list have any
    concerns with soap as a method of doing RPC and whether there are any
    firewall concerns.

    Our firewall is a mandrake box using iptables and we have very tight
    rules (I hope), to and from our servers, as far as restricting
    connections by IP and MAC as well as turning on the kernel IP spoofing
    measures.

    At my work place (small cable ISP) we have been doing some work to
    automate some common tasks, such as email account (add/edit/delete) and
    personal web space creation, in such a way that either our customers or
    level 1 tech support can use a web interface to do the work. Our
    programmer has been working on soap services to accomplish this (all
    linux servers btw, we aren't using MS soap).

    Basically, in the case of staff on the LAN (customers are a different
    case that I won't get into) the intranet web interface has soap connect
    to our mail server (through our LAN fw) and manipulates an object on the
    server that makes the necessary changes.

    Any of your thoughts on soap would be much appreciated.

    Mason

    • Re: IMAP server security vulnerability
      ... Server's username being logged against the audit logs for failed access ... Client-Authorization so that we could at least have a real world SOAP ... want to validate that a) the client is who he says he is, ... As long as our System Managers are abrogating our control over our servers, ...
      (comp.os.vms)
    • Re: Java or dot net
      ... I got the impression he already had a server, which exposed a web service interface, and he wanted to write a desktop client which used that interface. ... You can write SOAP clients in any language, and they'll interoperate with SOAP servers written in any language. ...
      (comp.lang.java.programmer)
    • Re: convert xml to resultset
      ... this is what SOAP is for, sending XML back and forth between servers ... and clients. ...
      (comp.lang.java.programmer)
    • COM+ SOAP VB components fail
      ... We have numerous COM components that we typically expose through component ... services "Activation> uses SOAP" mechanism. ... the last four servers we have ... An application we deploy in component services contains about a dozen dlls. ...
      (microsoft.public.dotnet.framework)
    • Component Services "Uses SOAP" fails silently.