RE: [fw-wiz] Managed Firewall Service - Opinions

From: Paul Robertson (proberts@patriot.net)
Date: 04/17/03

    From: Paul Robertson <proberts@patriot.net>
    To: "Melson, Paul" <PMelson@sequoianet.com>
    Date: Thu, 17 Apr 2003 13:45:26 -0400 (EDT)

    On Thu, 17 Apr 2003, Melson, Paul wrote:

    > Date: Thu, 17 Apr 2003 12:59:31 -0400
    > From: "Melson, Paul" <PMelson@sequoianet.com>
    > To: "Jeffery.Gieser@minnesotamutual.com@AICNOTES"
    > <IMCEANOTES-Jeffery+2EGieser+40minnesotamutual+2Ecom+40AICNOTES@sequoianet
    > .com>, firewall-wizards@honor.icsalabs.com

    (strange trailing TLD there... )

    > To be fair, any security services company with a half-way decent legal
    > department will require some level of disclaimer like this in their SLA,
    > or any contract for that matter. You're asking too much if you want to
    > pay a vendor $15K-$20K/yr and expect them to pay 10x to 100x that back
    > if there's a security incident. I can't think of any industry where a

    The insurance industry is one that comes to mind, as well as potentially
    the healthcare industry by way of the insurance industry.

    In most cases though, the risks aren't anywhere near as common for the
    pool of insured as they are for any of us who rely on programmers and
    programming discipline.

    Paul