RE: [fw-wiz] commercial va

From: Behm, Jeffrey L. (BehmJL@bvsg.com)
Date: 04/16/03

    From: "Behm, Jeffrey L." <BehmJL@bvsg.com>
    To: firewall-wizards@honor.icsalabs.com
    Date: Wed, 16 Apr 2003 13:01:53 -0500

    Do you have any specifics on what got "freaked out?" by
    nessus? I.E. what in particular should one be concerned
    about? I would have to guess you are talking about running
    it in the mode *without* the "safe-checks" box checked.
    (I.E. only the banners are checked, and the actual exploit
    is not actually attempted.)

    Please enlighten me if I am astray.

    At some point, Ben Nagy spewed:
    > You should look at Retina as well. For freeware, Nessus is
    > also cool, but I,
    > personally, would be very careful running it on production
    > networks (we
    > often recommend that people use nessus as a complement to
    > Retina, but it
    > does have a habit of freaking out networks).

    • Re: Newbie Hacker Tools
      ... Nessus is a very powerfull tool for finding exploits in servers and networks. ... > offering computer security audits to my clients and, ... > The written reports that I have received back from the hackers leave much to ...
      (Security-Basics)
    • Re: Basic security for a solo workstation connected to the Internet
      ... > Snort, Nessus, etc, seem designed for networks. ... > from my Mandrake system. ... If you can't get tripwire to work, try L5, or at least backup the ...
      (comp.os.linux.security)
    • Re: Newbie Hacker Tools
      ... Nessus is the choice of the hackers and Security Admins. ... Nessus / SATAN / SAINT ... > Nessus is a very powerfull tool for finding exploits in servers and networks. ... >> offering computer security audits to my clients and, ...
      (Security-Basics)
    • RE: Vulnerability Scanning large networks
      ... If you are looking for commercial pay ware you could ... Retina before and find it to be a quality product though I have never ... Subject: Vulnerability Scanning large networks ... various nessus scans to do it in 450 ip chunks its just not an idea ...
      (Security-Basics)
    • Vulnerability Scanning large networks
      ... networks, currently i need to scan about 9,000+ hosts in a mixed OS ( ... here someplace hehe:)) network, at the moment im attempting to use ... than 450 nessus & nessusd constantly core dump, so i was hoping to get ...
      (Security-Basics)