RE: [fw-wiz] tunnel vs open a hole

From: David Lang (david.lang@digitalinsight.com)
Date: 04/16/03

    From: David Lang <david.lang@digitalinsight.com>
    To: "Bowden, Kevin" <bowden_kw@naptheon.com>
    Date: Tue, 15 Apr 2003 17:48:09 -0700 (PDT)

    you can purchase support for most, if not all open-source software if that
    is the real problem.

    unfortunantly it's not. opensource software does tend to have things fixed
    faster when problems are discovered, but I think it was the recent
    sendmail holes taht had been in the code for 8 years without being
    discovered. more eyes doesn't eliminate all bugs. (this isn't to say
    commercial software is any better, win95 had a bug in it that wasn't
    discovered for 4 years that prevented it from running for more then 50
    days)

    another problem with open-source software is that since people tend to do
    the work that's fun, minor things like documenting how to use the software
    tends to lag significantly.

    when a company looks at useing opensource software they need to include
    the cost of these things in the balance.

    I still believe that in most cases opensource is still better, but it's
    not free.

    David Lang