Re: [fw-wiz] tunnel vs open a hole

From: Joseph S D Yao (jsdy@center.osis.gov)
Date: 04/10/03

    From: Joseph S D Yao <jsdy@center.osis.gov>
    To: George Capehart <capegeo@opengroup.org>
    Date: Thu, 10 Apr 2003 17:19:06 -0400

    On Thu, Apr 10, 2003 at 11:16:45AM -0400, George Capehart wrote:
    > To me this all ends up as a governance and accountability issue. There
    > certainly is enough blame to go around. This is not an intractable
    > problem. IMHO, the reason it is not being managed is that no one is
    > being held accountable for not "doing it right." Why is that? It is
    > not important. *That* makes it a governance issue. How does one get
    > the attention of a Board of Directors? Good question.
    > Someone/something got Bill Gates' attention . . .

    Well, yes. Aren't all things, in the end?

    We are all of us accountable for governing our own actions. This is
    such a horrifying notion to many that they duck and run for cover.

    Corporate identities, having no souls, must be governed and held
    accountable by a BoD. Which may also have no souls.

    How does one get the attention of a BoD? Two ways. The smell of
    money, and the smell of litigation. The carrot and the stick. In the
    BoD of too many of today's companies, as Marcus has alluded to, the Ds
    don't care about the company, the product, or the worker. They care
    about the revered "bottom line". And this doesn't even refer to the
    actual worth of the company, its products, or its revenues - nobody
    looks at that, nowadays. When they report the "worth" of a company,
    it's the price of a share of stock times the number of shares. A truly
    fake number! But it directly impacts the "bottom line" about which the
    directors are concerned - how much THEIR shares are worth, and those of
    the share holders who are only concerned about how much THEIR shares
    are worth. Today's stock market is little more than a Ponzi game where
    the trick is to walk out of the game with as much loot as you can
    before someone else does it to you. My daughter does not understand
    why I grimace when her "middle school" class enters the Washington Post
    Stock Market game, compelling her class to read and try and bet on the
    gambling pages - not the horse sheets, but the stock sheets.

    Bill Gates' attention is no different, OBTW.

    Sorry to be so cynical, but ...

    --
    Joe Yao				jsdy@center.osis.gov - Joseph S. D. Yao
    OSIS Center Systems Support					EMT-B

    • Re: Do negroes jog?
      ... Accountability is a concept in ethics with several meanings. ... used synonymously with such concepts as answerability, responsibility, ... As an aspect of governance, ... transparency in that it only enables negative feedback after a decision ...
      (rec.running)
    • Re: The "I was a CEO" bullshit
      ... Well, kiss my ass, Mitt. ... Governance is NOT profit-seeking. ... Accountability to a board of ... common with the average American. ...
      (alt.politics)
    • Re: The "I was a CEO" bullshit
      ... Well, kiss my ass, Mitt. ... Governance is NOT profit-seeking. ... Accountability to a board of ... maybe government should be profit seeking. ...
      (alt.politics)
    • Re: PM Lee says...our own political mode works
      ... It is worth a million a year, and you consider that not worth? ... > If there is something worth being PM in Singapore then. ... >>> PM Lee rejects liberal political model ... ... >>> governance.) ...
      (soc.culture.singapore)