[fw-wiz] Strange NAT entries on the PIX

From: user (nguyen@evergreen.edu)
Date: 04/08/03

    From: user <nguyen@evergreen.edu>
    To: firewall-wizards@honor.icsalabs.com
    Date: Mon, 07 Apr 2003 16:00:24 -0700

    Sorry about the HTML mail attempt. They won't let me turn off automatic
    HTML on our server. I think this client will avoid the problem.

    While researching a NAT pool exhaustion problem, I came across a number
    of strange NAT pairs. Essentially, addresses in the global pool are
    turning up on the local side, mapped to a different address in the
    outside pool.

    They are usually paired to the next address in sequence, but there are a
    few exceptions.

    Examples:

    Global x.x.25.180 Local x.x.25.179
    Global x.x.25.181 Local x.x.25.180
    Global x.x.25.182 Local x.x.25.181

    etc. for a block of 10-20 addresses.

    I'm trying to get my head around what kind of protocol might be
    generating this pattern. I suspect it's a peer-peer file transfer
    pattern, since it seems to be primarily in our dorms network.

    Any clues would be appreciated.

    Joe Pollock
    Network Services
    The Evergreen State College