Re: [fw-wiz] Antivirus on a free UN*X (Linux/*BSD) platform

From: Luca Berra (
Date: 04/07/03

    From: Luca Berra <>
    Date: Mon, 7 Apr 2003 21:14:28 +0200

    On Thu, Jan 09, 2003 at 12:50:53AM +0100, Luca Berra wrote:
    >On Mon, Jan 06, 2003 at 11:35:35PM +0100, Meco wrote:
    >>I want a TRANSPARENT antivirus check.
    >>I want to permit user to use their usual pop3/imap/smtp server, and
    >>check their mail for virus in a TRANPARENT way.
    >>I want the firewall / antivirus to decode the mail application protocol
    >>(at minimum smtp, pop3), find attachment in email, and do an antivirus
    >>check on them.
    >>This kind of stuff can be done with a lot of TRANPARENT http proxy
    >>server (M$ ISA, Squid, etc), how can it be done with SMTP?
    >hi, i have no clue of something that does transparent virus scanning for

    well i found something for pop3, following a discussion in an italian
    mailing-list (

    Luca Berra --
            Communication Media & Services S.r.l.
      X        AGAINST HTML MAIL
     / \
    firewall-wizards mailing list

    • RE: POP3
      ... We also took away pop3 for virus concerns. ... scanner like McAfee setup, with a feature like mailscan enabled (so ... whatever) server, then we only have to worry about scanning at the ...
    • Re: OT: Printing launches virus?
      ... Online or Pop3? ... If POP3, what program? ... I also don't know what printing a message from a Subject line w/o opeing the message means. ... without Opening it trigger a virus? ...
    • Re: Exchange Logs
      ... All users are experts in protecting the company data (keep desktop virus ... POP3 username and passwords are sent over the net as clear text... ... Have a server based virus system / filter to check emails and go SMTP (not ... You need to be running nightly backups - if you use SBSBackup, it will automatically be configured to do an online backup of the Exchange server, which will purge the committed transaction logs. ...
    • Re: Outlook POP3 Mail password
      ... If you are still having problems after applying both the SP 1 & 2 patches, then see if this article addresses your problemL ... The Save Password Setting Is Not Saved When You Connect to a POP3 ... Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook] ... the (insert latest virus name here) virus, all mail sent to my personal ...