RE: [fw-wiz] stop microsoft p2p

From: Kessler, Ben (
Date: 03/29/03

    From: "Kessler, Ben" <>
    To: "Robert E. Martin" <>, <>
    Date: Sat, 29 Mar 2003 08:49:58 -0600

    Would "port security" (in Cisco speak) be appropriate here?

    You could make the workstation ports "protected" and have only the router port(s) in "not protected" mode (and port(s) for your server(s) if appropriate).

    I don't have first-hand experience with this but my understanding is that "protected" ports are only allowed to communicate with non-protected ports in the same VLAN. So, in this example, all of your workstations would have to go through the router which could then apply ACLs to restrict traffic.

    Here's a link to CCO that might help (long URL, watch the wrap):