RE: [fw-wiz] PIX split tunneling

From: Perrymon, Josh L. (PerrymonJ@bek.com)
Date: 03/19/03

    From: "Perrymon, Josh L." <PerrymonJ@bek.com>
    To: 'Ben Nagy' <ben@iagu.net>, Malte von dem Hagen <DocValde@gmx.de>
    Date: Wed, 19 Mar 2003 15:20:51 -0600

    Hey Ben- I'm a little fuzzy also on this one.

    If your using split-tunnels with a client-to-PIX-VPN then the Split tunnel
    is setup inside the pix.

    VPNGROUP test split-tunnel access-list-101
    VPNGROUP test DNS 10.1.1.1 10.1.1.1
    so on

    Access-list 101 permit IP xxx.xx.xx.xx xx.xx.xx.xx xx.xx.xx.xx xx.xx.xx.xx

    The access list specifies the split tunnel. What to encrypt and what to send
    out the interface( default gateway ).
    Split tunneling is an excellent option for saving bandwidth and SA's on your
    firewall.

    The idea might have been started with the thought that if you send internet
    traffic back to the VPN you will be safe.
    This is incorrect. To use a VPN the user would need access to the internet (
    Public ). This means that the tcp/ip stack / ports are open unless
    protected. Meaning if you have 135-139 open your not safe.

    I would recommend that the users are required to run a personal firewall.
    Else you have a Secure connect to
    the core of the LAN for hackers to ride....

    Something to think about--

    Joshua Perrymon
    Network Security Consultant