RE: [fw-wiz] Layer 3-7 Firewall.

From: Ben Nagy (ben@iagu.net)
Date: 03/19/03

    From: "Ben Nagy" <ben@iagu.net>
    To: <Firewall-Wizards@Compucenter.org>, "'Firewall Wizards List'" <firewall-wizards@honor.icsalabs.com>
    Date: Wed, 19 Mar 2003 16:12:56 +0100

    [...]
    > Is there a SPI firewall out there that is application-layer protocol
    > aware?

    Is there one that isn't?

    (FTP can't work without layer 7 "awareness" for example)

    Also, SPI is a Checkpoint word, and it is certainly L7 "aware" (whether
    it uses this awareness to measurably increase security is another
    question....)

    Perhaps you could clarify exactly what you mean? I don't want to sound
    glib, but the marketeers have made this kind of discussion treacherous
    unless we all know that we're talking about exactly the same question.

    ben