Re: [fw-wiz] Stateful Proxying?

From: Marcus J. Ranum (mjr@ranum.com)
Date: 03/18/03

    To: "Small, Jim" <jim.small@eds.com>, firewall-wizards@honor.icsalabs.com
    From: "Marcus J. Ranum" <mjr@ranum.com>
    Date: Mon, 17 Mar 2003 21:59:35 -0500

    Small, Jim wrote:
    >While talking about Firewalls and Proxies, I was asked, can you have a
    >"Stateful Proxy"?

    Back in the early days of firewalls "stateful" was a marketing term
    applied to certain low-end firewalls in order to make their prospective
    customers think that they did the same kind of things proxies did.
    "Stateful" implied that the firewall kept state - like a proxy. I'd say
    "stateful" is a subset of what a proxy does, so, yes, proxies are
    stateful.

    mjr.

    ---
    Marcus J. Ranum				http://www.ranum.com
    Computer and Communications Security	mjr@ranum.com

    • Re: [fw-wiz] Stateful Proxying?
      ... a lot of it depends on the particular proxy or stateful filter you are ... there are proxies that don't look at the content of the payload at all, ... a lot of stateful filter firewalls do very little other then check port ... checking of a protocol (known on other firewalls as proxies, ...
      (Firewall-Wizards)
    • Re: Stateful Inspection
      ... >> A stateful firewall can inspect the contents of the packets as well. ... > VisNetic Firewall falls into a class of firewalls called Stateful ... Stateful inspection firewalls overcome the ...
      (comp.security.firewalls)
    • Re: Stateful Inspection
      ... >> A stateful firewall can inspect the contents of the packets as well. ... > VisNetic Firewall falls into a class of firewalls called Stateful ... Stateful inspection firewalls overcome the ...
      (comp.security.firewalls)
    • Re: pppoe, cant ping tun0, ipfnat ftp proxy "doesnt work"
      ... > But I noticed that, although you use ipnat(8), nat is also enabled in your ... especially on the way packets flow through the ... firewalls, so I dropped back and enabled in in ppp. ... Combining stateful rules and dummynet in ipfwwas interesting. ...
      (freebsd-net)
    • Re: Firewalls purchase research
      ... Hardware firewalls are nothing but a motherboard, ... > I will take my ISA server running layer 7 inspection on a Proliant dual ... The stuff most basic "stateful" ...
      (microsoft.public.security)