Re: [fw-wiz] Stateful Proxying?

From: Marcus J. Ranum (mjr@ranum.com)
Date: 03/18/03

    To: "Small, Jim" <jim.small@eds.com>, firewall-wizards@honor.icsalabs.com
    From: "Marcus J. Ranum" <mjr@ranum.com>
    Date: Mon, 17 Mar 2003 21:59:35 -0500

    Small, Jim wrote:
    >While talking about Firewalls and Proxies, I was asked, can you have a
    >"Stateful Proxy"?

    Back in the early days of firewalls "stateful" was a marketing term
    applied to certain low-end firewalls in order to make their prospective
    customers think that they did the same kind of things proxies did.
    "Stateful" implied that the firewall kept state - like a proxy. I'd say
    "stateful" is a subset of what a proxy does, so, yes, proxies are
    stateful.

    mjr.

    ---
    Marcus J. Ranum				http://www.ranum.com