[fw-wiz] Stateful Proxying?

From: Small, Jim (jim.small@eds.com)
Date: 03/17/03

    From: "Small, Jim" <jim.small@eds.com>
    To: firewall-wizards@honor.icsalabs.com
    Date: Mon, 17 Mar 2003 17:34:32 -0500

    While talking about Firewalls and Proxies, I was asked, can you have a
    "Stateful Proxy"?

    It seems like a simple enough question, but I was not sure how to answer it.
    Typically a Proxy Server doesn't forward IP packets, so it must listen for
    any service it proxies and then "proxy" the service. This almost implies
    state, doesn't it? But do Proxy servers watch ack and sequence numbers or
    "keep state" like a stateful packet filter does? Am I thinking about this
    correctly?

    If a Proxy Server is "stateful" then the difference between a stateful
    packet filter and a stateful proxy becomes small indeed. Would you then
    classify the difference as whether or not the proxy server breaks the
    connection/circuit and how for up the OSI model it checks and how thoroughly
    it checks the protocols for RFC/rules conformance?

    I would greatly appreciate any feedback or pointers.

    Thanks,
       <> Jim